Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm 6"8" 320lbs for now and will be upgrading to a new bike after christmas. my budget will be in the low $300's. what should I look for? i like trail riding, some streets when I have to but mostly trail.

·
Registered
364 Posts
option 1

option 2

option 3

in other words, one more vote for Craigslist.

EDIT: Wow, you're 6'8". Finding a bike that will fit you on Craigslist might not be easy. I hate to say it, but your options are very limited. Specialized does make Hardrocks in a 23" size, but I weigh about the same as you and I wouldn't trust a single component on that bike. Trek makes the 4500 in a 24" size, and the components look more legit on that one, but it's way more than $300.

Craigslist is still your best bet for finding a good value, but it might take a while to find a bike large enough for you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i ordered a GT outpost xxl disk. got a great price and guy at LBS said it will hold me even on rougher trails. I dont jump or go too balls out so it should be fine. plus i get lifetime tune ups and maintenance. i believe its an 09 model and i still got it for $399. hope i didnt get screwed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
update

turns out the outpost doesnt come in a xxl frame like the book my bike shop had says. so he got in touch with his rep and they are getting me a xxl frame either from a aggressor or the next frame up from the outpost and my guy will strip the one he has and build it to fit me on the xxl frame. still for under $400. I DONT THINK I COULD HAVE FOUND A BETTER SHOP TO DEAL WITH. he calls me to give me updates and just to ask me a few questions about color or minor things. he keeps apologizing and saying he wants to make sure i'm happy. i havent had customer service like this ever. so if your ever in st. louis look up Tim at sunset cyclery. :thumbsup:

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,009 Posts
momoe said:
turns out the outpost doesnt come in a xxl frame like the book my bike shop had says. so he got in touch with his rep and they are getting me a xxl frame either from a aggressor or the next frame up from the outpost and my guy will strip the one he has and build it to fit me on the xxl frame. still for under $400. I DONT THINK I COULD HAVE FOUND A BETTER SHOP TO DEAL WITH. he calls me to give me updates and just to ask me a few questions about color or minor things. he keeps apologizing and saying he wants to make sure i'm happy. i havent had customer service like this ever. so if your ever in st. louis look up Tim at sunset cyclery. :thumbsup:
sounds like a great shop:thumbsup:

·
Registered
190 Posts
momoe said:
I would suggest getting the upper frame from the outpost, I think its called Avalanche

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LOVELESS said:
I would suggest getting the upper frame from the outpost, I think its called Avalanche
I think thats what he will do, I dont really have a choice since the difference between the aggressor and the outpost is the components. he said he will get what ever xxl frame he can get the fastest . I hope thats the case but we'll see.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, so after 3 phonecalls and a trip by the rep to the factory... GT doesnt produce a suitable frame in the XXL size. they said in order to get an XXL i would have to forgo the disk brakes. they upgraded the seat post, cables and neck on the XL frame and it fits great. it fit pretty good before but they felt bad about not having what they wanted to sell me the first time. so the neck is taller to accomodate my reach and the seat post is taller and stronger to accomodate my size. the ride is very nice from what I can tell. I hope to get it on the trail soon. weather sucks and I have been on call at work for the last week almost. good news is I now have the bike and dont have to wait for a frame to be shipped. the XL frame really does fit but the XXL would have been nice also. he told me if I were to break the frame, GT would just give me a new one. win/win. happy trails.

·
Registered
15 Posts
momoe said:
Dude do the math they quote you an incorrect size frame then they picture a 6'-8" 320# guy grabbing them around the neck and slowly passing out from lack of air to the brain damn straight they got you what you need.:thumbsup:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.