Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 5.5" bike running Purgatory front/Ground Control rear, both 29x2.3. It's fine but it's just about all I've ever tried. My XC bike had X-King's on it, which were terrible by comparison, but that was my first bike so I didn't know any better at the time.

What are you heavier guys using on trail/AM bikes? I'm 235ish.

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
I'm 6'2 and 220. I run the Purgatory 2.2 Control in Front, Ground Control 2.1 in the front as well. Love that combo! On my new XC bike, it came with Fastrak 29 2.0" front and rear, but I will be putting a Fastrak 2.2" on the front once I kill this tire...

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I caught some tires I read good things about on sale so I'm thinking about the following combos, all but the Ardent are 29x2.3:

Butcher front with either Purgatory, Ground Control, or Ardent 2.25 rear

High Roller II 3C front, High Roller II dual compound rear

·
Banned
1,502 Posts
My bike came with Bontrager 2.3's when i bought it over a year ago. I really thought those were gona be fist thing to go on my bike. When it was time for new meat, i didnt hesitate to buy another pair. Im almost ready for another rear... i feel no burning need to experiment.

They stick when climbing, corner nicely, and roll like champs.

·
Underskilled
4,540 Posts
Hans Dampf trailstar on front mountain king black chilli on the rear.

The rubber is more important than the pattern.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Love the Hans Damf in the front on both my 5" FS 29'r and HT 29'r, however I thought they were going to hold up a bit better in the back on my 5" FS and I already have side knobs half torn off at less about 100 miles with running 30-27psi tubeless in rear, 25-27 front. The edges of the knobs on the Hans I'm using in the rear are still sharp, but doesn't do much good if they are rolling around between the tire and ground. I think I'll just go back to a Racing Ralph in the rear and succumb to replacing those every 100-150 miles but rolling a bit faster.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Love the Hans Damf in the front on both my 5" FS 29'r and HT 29'r, however I thought they were going to hold up a bit better in the back on my 5" FS and I already have side knobs half torn off at less about 100 miles with running 30-27psi tubeless in rear, 25-27 front. The edges of the knobs on the Hans I'm using in the rear are still sharp, but doesn't do much good if they are rolling around between the tire and ground. I think I'll just go back to a Racing Ralph in the rear and succumb to replacing those every 100-150 miles but rolling a bit faster.
That's typical for all knobby tires on the rear as that is where most of the weight is. In terms of traction IMO tread is more significant that rubber. In terms of durability rubber is more significant than tread IMO.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
On One Chunky Monkey. Hate the name...dig the tire. Got overwhelmed at hairball speeds/actions on the big bike, but it's been an above average tire on the main bike. Nearly as good as the Butcher front/Minion DHF rear combo for cornering/braking...not as good, but close-ish and rolls fasterish and less than half the price.

Brock...

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
On One Chunky Monkey. Hate the name...dig the tire. Got overwhelmed at hairball speeds/actions on the big bike, but it's been an above average tire on the main bike. Nearly as good as the Butcher front/Minion DHF rear combo for cornering/braking...not as good, but close-ish and rolls fasterish and less than half the price.

Brock...
Any reason why you're using butcher and minion instead of both of one? Those always struck me as the same tire essentially.

·
Making fat cool since '71
1,840 Posts
The simple answer is: The owner of the local Big S shop gave me the Butcher to try when I mentioned my front tire was getting shredded (Minion).

Brock...

·
Lord Thunderbottom
913 Posts
I think you've already nailed it, I've got purgatory 2.3 up front and ground control 2.2 rear also :)

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Gotcha. Tubeless? I've ran X-Kings and the sidewalls just leaked sealant constantly and I've read the same on the TK's. I had the protection model too.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I have no experience with tubeless. From what I have read, stay away from any version of X-Kings. Even if they initially feel good, I have read from different sources that they give up the ghost quickly and are terrible, even w/BC on wet roots and rocks.

·
Registered
4,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah they are awful. Hated them.

Was just wondering if the sidewall leaking was across the whole conti lineup

·
Registered
119 Posts
"What are you heavier guys using on trail/AM bikes? I'm 235ish."

I average between 270-250 depending how far I am into the riding season. I've had success with the following combos:
Rampage front at 32 psi/ rear at 35-36 psi with tubes. Slow rolling but just all-around, good predictable tires.

Maxxis Ardent 2.4 front/2.25 rear. Great traction but I've always had to pay more attention with pressure. I run the front at about 28 psi tubeless. Any more air and I don't like the way it corners on hardpack. Conversely, the rear I had to run at about 35 due to my weight.

I'm going to be running an Ardent 2.4 and an Ikon 2.35 rear with both set up tubeless on a new build. I've had lots of little guys tell me that I run too much rubber for the Midwest but I don't care. I love the feel of wider tires. I've demoed a couple of bikes with Nobby Nics and really liked how they worked on hardpack with some sandy dirt, but I haven't owned them and I've read that they wear fast. The thing I learned the hard way with the Ardent is how much difference a few psi can make on some tires--taking them from scary to great.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts