Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
steel is real...heavy
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an unbuilt NRS frame that is begging to be completed. I am having a helluva time trying to find a 6.5" shock for the rear.

The ones on ebay only seem to have an air valve for rebound, is it necessary to have a negative chamber to correctly setup the suspension? Does it need to be a shock WithOUT SPV or propedal?

Anyone know where I can get the right one without having to spend more than $100?

Thanks

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
Just find one of the Older rockshox SID shocks... you should be able to find them on ebay as NRS's were/are very common...

Other options include Fox float and Canecreek (forgot the model).

·
I live to bike
2,429 Posts
I believe you can run an SPV shock, but put the very minimum amount of pressure in the SPV chamber. I may be wrong, so someone correct me if I am.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
Cane creek makes shocks that will fit. I know many use the cloud nine model, but that could likely fall above your budget. Try looking at the AD models as well.

SPV is not really something you want, as the NRS has no use for it. Any propedal/SPV will only make the ride more harsh.

I believe that the NRS is supposed to have a fixed negative air pressure. This can be done with the sid shock that was standard for many years. The Float on my 2005 is "NRS tuned" but i doubt you would be able to get your hands one one of them.

·
[paste title here]
515 Posts
Yeah try the Cane Creek shocks. I think they make a AD-12 or Cloud Nine that fits. Supposedly it makes the bike a bit plusher, but I have never tried it. Ive been wanting to upgrade, but I havent had the time. CC also offers a shock trade-in program where I think they'll give you about 100 bucks off a new shock.

·
Registered
34 Posts
jvp108 said:
I have an unbuilt NRS frame that is begging to be completed. I am having a helluva time trying to find a 6.5" shock for the rear.

The ones on ebay only seem to have an air valve for rebound, is it necessary to have a negative chamber to correctly setup the suspension? Does it need to be a shock WithOUT SPV or propedal?

Anyone know where I can get the right one without having to spend more than $100?

Thanks
The best way to go is Cane Creek Cloud Nine, that's what I have on my NRS. it makes the ride a lot better compared to the old Rock Shox, also it has a Rebound Compression Adjust Button that acts some what of a lockout. and a big plus for this shock is you can rebuild it your self it only takes 10 minutes of your time and $20 for a seal kit.

·
I'll rest later
15 Posts
chadsterNRS said:
The best way to go is Cane Creek Cloud Nine, that's what I have on my NRS. it makes the ride a lot better compared to the old Rock Shox, also it has a Rebound Compression Adjust Button that acts some what of a lockout. and a big plus for this shock is you can rebuild it your self it only takes 10 minutes of your time and $20 for a seal kit.
I'm seriously considering purchasing a Cloud Nine for my NRS to replace my old Rock Shox SID. Having never replaced a shock I'm confused about whether I need any extra mounting hardware. Can I just use the hardware which was used for the Rock Shox or does the mounting hardware I need come with the Cloud Nine? Do I need to order mounting hardware separately?

Steve

·
Registered
34 Posts
Low Speed Endos said:
I'm seriously considering purchasing a Cloud Nine for my NRS to replace my old Rock Shox SID. Having never replaced a shock I'm confused about whether I need any extra mounting hardware. Can I just use the hardware which was used for the Rock Shox or does the mounting hardware I need come with the Cloud Nine? Do I need to order mounting hardware separately?

Steve
I use the mounting hardware that came with the Rock Shox SID. and it works perfect!

·
Registered
322 Posts
When you order the Cloud 9 you tell cane creek what bike and year its going on and they give you the hardware you need. Cloud 9 is a good choice. I run one with SGF rockers on my 02 nrs2.

·
I'll rest later
15 Posts
Because I wasn't ordering the shock directly from Cane Creek, I ended up calling Cane Creek and ordering the hardware from them. This may not have been necessary, but I didn't want to take any chances.

·
In exile
542 Posts
robdamanii said:
Another question on the Cloud 9. Does it have the adjustable negative chamber or does it perform ok without that?
I don't think it does, but you can ask Skaredsh*thead. He rides one on his.

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
robdamanii said:
Another question on the Cloud 9. Does it have the adjustable negative chamber or does it perform ok without that?
http://canecreek.com/cloud_nine.html
nope, negative spring is not adjustable. Apparently, it rides great without it.

For the SID shocks, giant reccomended a fixed pressure in the negative spring anyways, although some used it for fine tuning.

·
bro not pro
378 Posts
SID pressure

what pressures' are you running in your SID shock ? (positive and negative chambers) ?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts