Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Veloculture said:
[that doesn't look like a Ritchey to me. at least not any that i've seen. what does that head tube say?
Well it has the TR decal on the headtube, but what made me believe it was a Ritchey were the Ritchey logos pantographed on the rear drops

Attachments

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
mingodog said:
I just bought this off a guy, but it's been repainted, is this a P-20 like it says it it ? Around what year is this frame ?
Most definitely not a Ritchey. There are a couple really low end bikes with Ritchey paint jobs that Ive seen now that are not Ritcheys. One of them even made it onto oldmountainbikes.com somehow. Laffeaux is too nice to turn it away I guess. ;)

Yours actually looks like it may be something decent... Hard to tell though with that paint like that. And Sky is right, those dropouts were sold by Ritchey to other frame builders.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fillet-brazed said:
Most definitely not a Ritchey. There are a couple really low end bikes with Ritchey paint jobs that Ive seen now that are not Ritcheys. One of them even made it onto oldmountainbikes.com somehow. Laffeaux is too nice to turn it away I guess. ;)

Yours actually looks like it may be something decent... Hard to tell though with that paint like that. And Sky is right, those dropouts were sold by Ritchey to other frame builders.
Well like you say it does seem like a decent frame nonetheless. One last thing is the serial numbers under the bottom bracket "G" or "C" BW005, but from what I've read the serial numbers are not all alike.. Oh well I guess I got taken.. :madman:

·
IVMTB & VMBEFG Illuminati
1,493 Posts
mingodog said:
Well like you say it does seem like a decent frame nonetheless. One last thing is the serial numbers under the bottom bracket "G" or "C" BW005, but from what I've read the serial numbers are not all alike.. Oh well I guess I got taken.. :madman:
sorry to spoil the day. what did you pay and where did you get it from?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Veloculture said:
sorry to spoil the day. what did you pay and where did you get it from?
150.00 I got it off craigslist.. What is the main thing that gives it away that it's not a Ritchey ? Well It's a nice lightweight frame anyway.. I guess I'm going to hit it with the bead-blaster and see what's under the paint.

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
$150 isn't too bad of a hit. But if he was trying to pass it off as a P-20...thats kind of messed up (if he even knew himself).

The P-20 decals aren't correct.

That extra (pinched?) tubing at the down tube would be one thing.

Here's what Ritchey head tubes look like:

Also, the rear seat binder bolt...doesn't look quite right.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Yep, the dead give-a-way is the seat tube binder bolt area. Ritcheys dont have a rear brake braze on like yours but a small hole by seat tube that the cable runs through , as shown below

·
Registered
5,987 Posts
FB is right, I am too nice. ;)

The gusset at the headtube / downtube junction is very non-Ritchey. But it does look like a nicer frame, just not a Ritchey.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.