Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys I took the frame to West End Cycles here in Houston ( thats where the mountain bike gurus live) and was told that the Ritchey conterfit is actually a Diamondback WCS that was made in cunjunction with Ritchey. Made inline same tubing as the P-20. Bad news is that the gusset at the downtube is not original, so it's been fixed or just beefed up. Anyway does any one have a picture of a Diamondback World Champion WCS ??

·
VRC Illuminati
17,654 Posts
mingodog said:
Ok guys I took the frame to West End Cycles here in Houston ( thats where the mountain bike gurus live) and was told that the Ritchey conterfit is actually a Diamondback WCS that was made in cunjunction with Ritchey. Made inline same tubing as the P-20. Bad news is that the gusset at the downtube is not original, so it's been fixed or just beefed up. Anyway does any one have a picture of a Diamondback World Champion WCS ??
Wow. Cool of them to help identify the frame.

I don't think I've seen a DB WCS...

I only tend to think of the bright green DB's that Dave Weins rode.

·
information leafblower
244 Posts
for what it's worth...i thought it was likely to turn out to be a Scott Pro Racing or similar higher end cromoly early/mid nineties Scott...since they used fastback seatstays and commonly Ritchey dropouts..but the routing isn't quite right on the examples I found pics of.

I thought Diamond Back switched to a high end ti frame in the early/mid nineties and wasn't aware of them offering a WCS or similar high end cromo bike...unless markedly earlier than that.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
There was an Axis Team model in the early 90s. The brochure at http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/ shows a 1991 model in bright green. Tubing was OX Ultra II (my '91 Axis is OX). There was still an Axis TR made of True Temper Lite chromo as late as 1994, but I think that was the last year. The titanium Axis frames (made by Sandvik?) went on sale in 1994 and became the top of the line DB hardtail/rigid bikes.

There is, of course, the WCF line of DB frames, but I think you'd know if you had one of those, given that they are carbon...

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
cegrover said:
There was an Axis Team model in the early 90s. The brochure at http://www.mtb-kataloge.de/ shows a 1991 model in bright green. Tubing was OX Ultra II (my '91 Axis is OX). There was still an Axis TR made of True Temper Lite chromo as late as 1994, but I think that was the last year. The titanium Axis frames (made by Sandvik?) went on sale in 1994 and became the top of the line DB hardtail/rigid bikes.

There is, of course, the WCF line of DB frames, but I think you'd know if you had one of those, given that they are carbon...
I had the '89 Axis Team. I don't remember it being terribley Ritchey-like. The stays weren't fastbacks for one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.