Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought a new bike -a santa cruz bronson. it's my first carbon bike.

What kind of protection would you recommend putting on it to protect a) from structural damage to the frame (especially when going through rock gardens) and b) paint protection.

Thanks

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,753 Posts
Invisaframe
&
Ride Wraps

Both companies offer complete 3m clear protective tape “kits” specific to frame brand and model that cover every square inch of the frame. Not all models of all brands are available. I used Invisaframe and was quite impressed with the quality and perfected cut of each piece. It’s super hard telling it’s even on the bike. It’s a long tedious process installing it but well worth it.

Reactions: bingemtbr

·
Registered
9,739 Posts
Yep. 3M tape, helicopter tape, etc, can do a decent job of protecting against cosmetic dings, scratches, and rubbing but doesn't do much for hits with the potential of structural damage. There are some stiff/thick frame guards for the down tube you can get. Effetto Mariposa has some much thicker tape than the usual stuff which helps with rocks thrown up by the front tire.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I would do a combo. Order a frame kit from Invisaframe, and get Effetto Mariposa "Shelter Tape" for downtube protection from kicked up rocks. Used the left over downtube piece from the Invisaframe to double up the chain stay protection.

·
#1 Latex Salesman
1,869 Posts
All of the above plus get used to cringing for the first 3 months. After a while you get over it and the chips/nicks won't bother you as much. It is sadly inevitable.

Sent from my LM-X320 using Tapatalk

·
Thicc Member
1,029 Posts
Two layers of .008 3M vinyl is pretty good protection. I've seen fist sized rocks bounce off my down tube and not even scratch the paint.

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
36,753 Posts
RideWrap with the shutte armor to protect the bike from the tailgate is 👌
Or, just don’t throw your 6K. bike over a tailgate and get a proper mounting system.
Flame on...
Flame off...

Reactions: Bikeworks

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
I'm using the All Mountain Style stuff for my FS bike. It's not complete protection, but it covers a lot and looks great with the theme I was going for. Couple of kits and I have almost the whole frame covered.

For my HT, I originally went with DYEDBRO but in a gloss. It didn't look great on my matte frame, so I will likely get something else down the road.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you're handy with scissors/X-Acto knife and a ruler, you can buy a roll of 3M PPF off Amazon for not too much $ and do them yourself. Most are straight cuts and you just need to round the corners. If you can't be bothered with that, for 3-4x more, you can buys Invisframe or Ridewrap or AMA protection film what are precut to your specific bike. Just watch the youtube videos on how to apply it. Some guys try to do it dry and they do it surprisingly well but I will always recommend the wet application method because if you frack up the application doing it dry, it looks like rubbish with kinks and air bubbles galore.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts