Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Waiting for my new Seeker to come, trying to figure out what pedals to use. Prefer platforms but not opposed to clipless. What do you guys think?

·
Registered
451 Posts
I liked the Wellgo MG-1 pedals I have on my Goblin so I got another set for my Hobgoblin. They have held up well for me and are really grippy. I also have some inexpensive shimano SPD pedals.

·
Registered
36 Posts
PD-M530 if you want to go clipless and still want some platform for those first couple spins till you get clipped in. I kinda feel like clipless is the way to go unless you're bombing down some hills all the time and need to have your feet off the pedals. Clipless is just a more efficient way to pedal/spin. my 2 Cents.

·
Registered
164 Posts
CB Eggbeaters and Candies are the only clipless I have ever had. Some hate them some love them I have thousands of road and trail miles on several pairs no problem YMMV.

·
Rogue Exterminator
4,951 Posts
On my mountain bikes VP-001 flats.
Had Welgo MG1's before that and they are good but the VP's are better.

On my road bike I ride clipless and have a set of Crankbrother Candy.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I have Wellgo MG-1s on mine. They took a good beating on rocks, stumps and whatever else I hit this weekend and they are still intact aside from donating some paint to the trails. We'll see over time. I hope to smash them up less as I ride more.

·
Registered
252 Posts
PD-M530 if you want to go clipless and still want some platform for those first couple spins till you get clipped in. I kinda feel like clipless is the way to go unless you're bombing down some hills all the time and need to have your feet off the pedals. Clipless is just a more efficient way to pedal/spin. my 2 Cents.
I use the same. Clipless helps keep your feet cranking as you ride over obstacles and not slipping off the pedals.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
I started with flats, went to Shimano SPD since most of my friends used them in Socal. Eggbeaters weren't popular since the wings would get bent when smacked on rocks.

Last year tried to back to flats and used the Forte Converts platforms. Gripped shoe well but one slip left my shin really bloodied. I'm back on Shiman M530's. I'm used to clipless so no worries about getting out in emergencies.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great feedback....I appreciate all the suggestions and started looking all of these up. I have never ridden clipless, but I am willing to learn. I think I'm leaning toward a hybrid type pedal that I can ride clipless and with regular trail running shoes for those days I need to be able to walk around in between rides. Best of both worlds type of set up.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I started with DK Alpha flats on my Guardian. Within a year I got the courage to try clipless and went with Time ATACs. I love clipless now, and the ATAC have held up to some decent abuse lately. I also looked into the hybrid cleat/flat pedals and they all seemed to be a compromise - not that good of a flat pedal and not that good of a clipless pedal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Been looking all day, decide to go clipless. Price on amazon for Shimano PD M785 is great. Even found some shoes that I like. Thanks again for all the input guys. Now if only the bike were here :)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Those are basically a step up from the M530's, good choice! I think you'll be happy with them. Be sure to set your tension light at first as you get used to them

·
Registered
327 Posts
For SPD's I'd highly recommend a set of the multi angle cleats too. Much easier to unclip.

·
Registered
252 Posts
For SPD's I'd highly recommend a set of the multi angle cleats too. Much easier to unclip.
The SH-56's. I use them too. Almost too easy to release at times but worth using especially at the beginning.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 32 Posts