Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided that I need to save cost on my sons mountain bike project. I have tried painting it before with your standard paint enamel from the hardware store and it looked ok but wore like crap. After 10 days you could still indent it with your fingernail. I'm wondering what kind I should use.....car paint?!?!?!....any suggestions?...And please let it be cheap....LOL

·
Thread Killer
771 Posts
i've had good luck painting skateboard trucks with brush on rustoleum...it's a helluva lot more durable than spray on, or any car paint i've used, but it's by far not as durable as powdercoating. or, depending on what color you want, you might look into some of that rhino lining that they use for truck beds :)

·
Registered
725 Posts
If you want to save money use the rustoleum and wait a month or more. It is an oil based paint and not catalyzed and that is what it does.

Or get it powder coated. Wet paint is far more expensive than powder even when you buy the materials and do the labor yourself.

Bed liner is a good option but price out some decent bedliner and then get a schultz gun and now you just spent twice as much as a powder job. Bedliner is more durable than powder but to get the best quality finish you need to lay down an epoxy primer. More money there. Doing stuff like this yourself is usually false economy.

Dave Bohm
Bohemian Bicycles

P.S. You may try dura-coat. I heard decent things about it. It is pretty inexpensive too.

http://www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com/

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.