Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe I'm judging too harshly, but this kind of thing really burns me up.

The weather finally relented enough that I was able to get out on a real ride yesterday on some lower, south facing slopes. It felt really good to get out of the house and off the trainer eventhough I still had to hike-a-bike through some deeper snow drifts and was limited to riding what the trucks and quads had packed down.

As I was working my way down a fun pole-line trail my packed tracks ended but I noticed a cross road which was pretty well packed down heading up a hill that's a dead end and normally too loose to ride in dry weather anyway. So I started climbing.

It felt good. Well-packed snow mix with some dry spots makes for great traction. All the time I'm going up this hill I'm wondering who had come up here and why. They'd obviously made more than one trip. I knew the road would eventually get too steep and the snow too deep for the truck and he'd have to turn around.

When I got to the turn around spot I found the reason. Someone had been dumping trash up there. What????? This spot is literally in view of the county landfill just down the hill!! There's not even any fee for taking household waste to the landfull!! This kind of stupidity just fries me.

I went back up with my truck and my eight year old son later that day and picked up the trash and took it to the landfill. While I was picking stuff up I found some catalogs and envelopes with names and addresses on them. What should I do to help his person understand this is W-R-O-N-G, wrong?

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
Go to the local constabulary and tell/show what you found.

As for dumping it in their yard...well it might work and it might backfire on you. Personally I don't think that's the answer.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Depends on where the dumping is located... if it's private property and the "red-neck" in question has permission, you're out of luck. If it's on state or fed lands, then call your local enforcement officer show him what you found, and give him the addressed trash and see what can be done. Good luck to you, it's good to see someone actually taking a stand! We recently had some yay-hoos rip up one of our trails with ATVs, but nobody saw them, and they didn't leave any envolopes with addresses behind :p

matt

·
Fireball in the Night
1,624 Posts
Absolutely contact the police or sheriff or whatever you have locally.
If you don't want to do it, PM me and I'll make arrangements do it.
That kind of thing kills me slowly when I see it.

·
2,093 Posts
Turn in the red neck

KROB, where's your camera? Take a shot of the illegal dumping. and turn the address in.
Beter yet, take a turd and leave it on the red neck's doorstep

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
i live in a very small town, composed mainly of rednex whose crowning achievement was graduating from high school...anyway, it's absolutely commonplace to find all kinds of trash literally everywhere outside of town (refrigs, washers, beds, you name it)...it doesn't matter that we have a huge landfill in town and/or that it is free to bring trash to the landfill....

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
matteus said:
Depends on where the dumping is located...
BLM administered public land.

matteus said:
We recently had some yay-hoos rip up one of our trails with ATVs, but nobody saw them, and they didn't leave any envolopes with addresses behind :p

matt
EEwwww. ATVs:madmax: Don't get me started. That's most likely why he dumped the trash.... He couldn't fit his quad in his truck and wanted to go spin doughnuts around the local "singletrack" shirtless, in shorts and with his ball cap on backwards.

·
Registered
13,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hollister said:
yes sir officer opie, i can not tell a lie
i put that envolpope under that garbage:D

http://www.arlo.net/resources/lyrics/alices.shtml

sorry, couldnt help it.
LOL. Speaking of Arlo Guthrie.... can anyone tell my what that song "Riding on the City of New Orleans" is about. I had an assignment in Enlgish 101 about 25 years ago to interpret that and never could figure it out to the satisfaction of my professor.

·
Registered
453 Posts
I had this problem on some land that we own. We have 800 acres and most of it is fenced except one section of about 100 acres. Some one was coming in at night and dumping huge amounts of garbage. We called the Sherrif and gave him the names and addresses on the envelopes. They finally caught the people in the act and they had to pay a big fine and do community service.

Trash is not all that has been found on our place. I have found three cole machines, numerous paper machines and 5 years ago we found a marijauna crop that the local authorities said was valued at over $500,000.00. There aere about 350 plants, 8 feet tall that had buds all over them.

Just call the police with the info you ha ve and let them handle it.

·
Registered
460 Posts
KRob said:
BLM administered public land.

EEwwww. ATVs:madmax: Don't get me started. That's most likely why he dumped the trash.... He couldn't fit his quad in his truck and wanted to go spin doughnuts around the local "singletrack" shirtless, in shorts and with his ball cap on backwards.
Is there a lower form of life than a shirtless, helmetless, drunk, quad rider? I think not.

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
KRob said:
LOL. Speaking of Arlo Guthrie.... can anyone tell my what that song "Riding on the City of New Orleans" is about. I had an assignment in Enlgish 101 about 25 years ago to interpret that and never could figure it out to the satisfaction of my professor.
A train ride.

Wait, were you supposed to find something deeper than that?

I remember telling my high school English teacher that Poe made the rooms in "The Mask of the Red Death" different colors because that would be wicked cool, and it didn't mean a damn thing beyond that. Our conversation actually became quite heated. I have a lot of respect for that teacher, he spoke to me like an equal.

I still think he was wrong.

·
Hairy man
4,923 Posts
scmtbiker said:
s and 5 years ago we found a marijauna crop that the local authorities said was valued at over $500,000.00. There aere about 350 plants, 8 feet tall that had buds all over them.
Wait, there's a problem with that?

Oh, and official valuations of drugs are always exaggerations. They take the highest price for the smallest sale-able unit and work upwards from there. Actually moving it whole sale it was probably worth$250,000 at most.

Still, given that you can have your property confiscated if the cops think you might have known about the weed growing in it (and they don't have to prove anything, just suspect), it was awfully shitty of someone to farm on your land.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I definately do not think you are judging too harshly. I ride in one area that has alot of trash. I hate seeing that crap. As much fun as it would be to drop in their yard. I would report it to the "authorities".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.