Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I just added some bb7's(185f/160r) to my monocog and I have noticed an improvement in braking. However, although I can now brake more comfortably with one finger on most stuff, I still need 2 fingers for hard braking or for steep stuff. I am using the stock tektro levers and some generic cables/housings, but what kind of improvement could I see if I upgraded to sd7 levers? Would I see stronger one-finger braking? thanks.

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Yes. Your Tektros are flexy. The SD7's have a stiffer body, better guts, and a stiffer lever. That in itself is going to make a good improvement. Add in the speed dial for leverage adjustment..........go for it. You'll like them. Just remember to leave them a little loose on the bars (tight enough to stay put when you're riding, but loose enough to rotate on the bars in a crash, rather than snapping a lever off).

·
Registered
160 Posts
And with compressionless housing (like the FMJ) you get one-finger-braking even at the steepest downhill sections.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i've been wondering if the generic cable housings are causing the poor brake performance. With the housing being so short going to the front brake, I am thinking the upgrade in performance from compressionless housings might not be as significant as a lever upgrade. But if the lever upgrade is satisfactory then i might try some new housings. thanks!

·
Official ***** Idiot
333 Posts
Best to do both, levers and good quality cables. Even on the front, there's enough compression to cause a weaker brake response. Not a massive amount, not like you're losing 10% power or anything, but you'll notice it. Do the levers first, though, if you can't afford both at the same time. I've run cheapie generic cables in a pinch, and it's not earth-shattering.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts