Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like long, wide, sweeping handlebars. I expected that from the Mary bar, but it seems too narrow. Any suggestions? What do you use?

Like I said, I like em wide and sweeping.

·
Sweep the leg!
3,804 Posts
Mary with 2cm removed from each side. It seemed too wide at first. but after dragging the bike behind my motorcycle I needed to remove a bit to balance them. Now they seem almost perfect.

They're on a GF Rig.

·
wrench
443 Posts
Bontrager Big Sweep

You might try the Bonty Big Sweep. It is 640mm wide, 31.8 clamp with 12^ sweep and pretty light at 170g. I use it on one of my bikes. Been happy with it. It is a flat bar if that is what you are looking for.

Matto

·
Registered
944 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
mattomoto said:
You might try the Bonty Big Sweep. It is 640mm wide, 31.8 clamp with 12^ sweep and pretty light at 170g. I use it on one of my bikes. Been happy with it. It is a flat bar if that is what you are looking for.

Matto
I actually prefer more of a riser bar vs. a flat bar.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sweep makes more sense ergonomically. I'll admit that I've never used anything beyond a 5deg on a mountain bike. Although now that I think about it, bmx bars probably had more sweep than that and they were comfortable. Since the majority of the mountain market is 5 or 3, I've gotta think that there's some sort of advantage to them. Anyone know? Or is it just cost?

·
breathing helium
2,094 Posts
I have an H-Bar on my SS, but it wouldn't work on the geard bike with the trigger shifters I have. Rather than converting to the whole Shimano/Paul Thumbie setup, I got a Mary bar. It did solve the sweep issue, but they didn't have the same width as the H-Bars. I now have a Salsa Pro Moto 11 degree flat bar on it now. I have yet to ride it with the Salsas, but they feel nice on the parking lot test. The Salsas are 600mm wide too, which I like a lot.

Syntace makes a riser bar that has like 15 degrees of sweep I think. It's kind of heavy and was overkill for me. Bonty makes one but it is narrower. Black Sheep or Seven will make you a custom one too. Seven only does flat bars while Black Sheep will make risers as well as flats. I plan on getting a Ti oneafter I spend some time on the Salsas.

·
No longer 26
3,090 Posts
Hoping for carbon big sweep.

mattomoto said:

Matto
The Bonty Big Sweep in carbon would be awesome. :D

·
Registered
803 Posts
rontele, are you riding rigid?

i've gone from the uncut on*one xc riser bar to the uncut mary bar. feels good.

if jones h-bars were readily available, i would have a go at it too.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Easton Monkey Lites....

Classic, proven, and have a great feel. Perfect amount of sweep for handling rock gardens on a rigid fork. The standard version is 27" but the last set I bought for my most recent build is 28". I found my hands inching off the ends of the 27" bars too often. I sold off a boatload of 26" stuff and put some cash toward the carbon DH version. Super stiff! Aluminum bars always feel like they are going to tear in half at the stem on tough climbs; too flexy.

Mike

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.