Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
BOOST THAT SH*T!
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Truvativ Team Stylo. So far so good with no complaints other than the Pack/Stylo combo is giving me fits while trying to find a chain retention system that works. I have tried the E13 and MRP LRP. Both will not work as there is not enough space between the frame and the cup. So with that siad I am contimplating getting into a different crank so that I can run that MRP. What kind of crank/chain retention system are you guys running on your Packs?

Thanks Homers.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I run a Stylo GXP with a Heim arm/lrp roller on my Spot. I have a XT ES71/Hollowtech on the Pack running the same retention system.

·
BOOST THAT SH*T!
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm starting to think that I need to take it upon myself to install it trather than boys at my LBS.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
Seriously. I can hardly think of an easier installation. Take the non-drive crank arm off, pull the cranks, back the drive-side bb cup out, put the Heim arm on the cup, thread it back in and hold the Heim in the desired position as you tighten the cup, pass the cranks through, and tighten the non-drive arm back on. Done.

·
mr. wonderful
879 Posts
ronniering.com

fwiw-
not exactly a chain guide, but it works perfectly for me. i have 2 ring xtII crankset with a small bash guard. i have never had an issue with dropping the chain off the middle ring, just the small ring. the ronnie ring is a 4mm plate that bolts onto the inside of the small ring. its only purpose is to eliminate chain drop and chain suck off the small ring. if you have problems on the middle ring, this isn't for you, but if your problems only occur from the small ring, this is perfect. it's simple, light, inexpensive, quiet, and virtually invisable.

he makes a std. thickness and a thin for tight fits like the six pack. he will also make a custom ring for the icg. even with the thin plate it is such an extremely tight fit on the pack that i had to file down the heads of the bolts to keep them from contacting the icg mounts.

its not well known, but well worth checking out.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
Atlas 175mm, 34t and 22t, E13 DRS.

I weigh 155 and the Atlas feel plenty burly/stiff/linear for me in the 6-Pack frame.

Probably would be equally happy with a Shimano XT set up likewise, if I were inclined toward the Big S.

·
Natl. Champ DH Poser/Hack
12,942 Posts
xtr 952's w/ a 952 4 bolt spyder for me. i jumped on cheesys bandwagon and scored a heim/lrp set up this week and so far im quite pleased but its yet to see real dirt. one thing i like alot about this set up is its stiff as a 8th grader at a ginger lynn autograph session and can be had pretty dern cheap compared to some of the newer stuff out there.

Attachments

·
Registered
55 Posts
XT M760 with E.13 DRS chainguide. Just swapped the drive side spacer for the DRS plate, and I was good to go. Fits like a glove.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
34,793 Posts
I'm not dropping my chain. My derailer pulleys had worn and my old rings were causing my bike to suck at backpedaling(a bit of chainsuck), and that caused the chain to do some funny things, but that cropped up about 2 weeks ago, and I replace the rings and pulleys, cleaned every drivetrain part, and it's back to normal.

·
Banned
11,257 Posts
ABQDave said:
I have the Truvativ Team Stylo.

Thanks Homers.
I didn't notice the Stylo comment.

I'm a skinny 5'10" 155 lbs and I bent a Stylo arm doing a 1-foot drop. on a steel SS rig that had some inherent flex/cush, too.

riding comparisons to Shimano XT, RF Turbine, RF Atlas: Stylo is noodly.

it's stiff enough if you're always linear and pretty much in the saddle most of the time. it's an XC race crank. that should say it all. I would expect it to feel flexy (in comparison, that is) when descending on any bike that has a solid rear triangle/assembly.

·
I've got a Stiffee
913 Posts
I'm running Holzfellers w/an MRP LRP ISCG chain guide which I had to modify (ie. a LOT of grinding) to get it to work. I would go with tscheezy's recommendation and use the Heim arm with an MRP roller. As far as my cranks I could have gone lighter with the Truvativ Stylo Teams but since I'll be doing some drops I thought the extra weight was worth it, plus you can find them at Pricepoint for $89 now :D

·
BOOST THAT SH*T!
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Heim is on the way. I'll see how it works with the current set up. FXRob I think your comments on the noodleness of the Stylos is a good one. I might try to get into the Race Face Atlas.

·
not so super...
11,465 Posts
ABQDave said:
Heim is on the way. I'll see how it works with the current set up. FXRob I think your comments on the noodleness of the Stylos is a good one. I might try to get into the Race Face Atlas.
Did you get the new 2-Guide or the 3 Guide?

I had chainline issues with the RF cranks and the pack. You might want to consider the FSA cranks.

·
BOOST THAT SH*T!
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the Guide 3 and an LRP roller.

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
You guys are starting to sound like Jayem. First of all, who is talking about the Isis Stylo, and who is talking about the GXP stylo? The crank data has been published and the Stylo is 4% more "noodley" than the XT. I'm sorry, but none of you can feel that 4%. No way. Anyhoo, I run old school XTs and new school Truvativ GXP and like em both just fine.

·
Registered
6,967 Posts
tscheezy said:
...4% more "noodley"...
...OK, the real question at hand HERE is what type of noodle are we using to define our standard. A Chef for nearly 20 years, I can honestly tell you that a decent pappardelle will put the smack down on your average vermicelli. :D

1 - 20 of 25 Posts