Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm always curious to see what others are riding in the parking lots- the mixture of the latest and greatest with the older classics and the really obscure. The last time I was at Chimney Rock I saw a Fat Chance HT and an Ibis Bow Ti. What bike(s) do you ride in the great state of NJ? If you're making the jump to a new rig (or ebaying an older model) what is it?

Here are my two main rides- A 2003 Intense Tracer (bought it new in June) and a SPOT Single Speed (now green because of a frame warranty replacement)

Attachments

·
www.mtbnj.com
494 Posts
Molasses said:
I'm always curious to see what others are riding in the parking lots- the mixture of the latest and greatest with the older classics and the really obscure. The last time I was at Chimney Rock I saw a Fat Chance HT and an Ibis Bow Ti. What bike(s) do you ride in the great state of NJ? If you're making the jump to a new rig (or ebaying an older model) what is it?

Here are my two main rides- A 2003 Intense Tracer (bought it new in June) and a SPOT Single Speed (now green because of a frame warranty replacement)
Funny you should post this, becasue I was going to ask for similar information (not trying to hi-jack your thread, MO). I am riding an '02 Cannondale Jekyll with an electronic lockout lefty, and am at the point where the pricier items need to be replaced/upgraded. I did a quick itemization which came in around $750. So you can see where I am going here...

How about some reccomendations, as well. I would like to stay under $2500, 4-5 inches of travel. Riding the mooch, mahlon dickerson, and various other northern NJ trails. Lookng at the C-Dale Rush and the Giant Trance 2 right now.

·
i want spring!
480 Posts
My Main Squeezes

Molasses said:
Ima riding a 03' Trek Liquid 25 stock except the Chris King headset and I also have a 05' 5 Spot. Got most of the parts except for the brakes. That should be ready by February.
I'd upload sum pics but I can't find my damn camera. Next time.

later,
Db

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Depends on where I'm riding

If it is a fairly non-technical place like Lewis Morris or the Tourne, I'd have to say my Independent Fabrication Deluxe steel hard tail is the main ride. At Mahlon Dickerson, Allamuchy or Diablo, the main ride is a Santa Cruz Chameleon with 2.5" tires and a six inch fork. On the road, my main ride is a Giant OCR-C1 road bike.

Guess I don't have one main ride anymore.

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
phatbiker said:
you got yourself quite a nice stable of bikes. i'm thinking of a racer x for some racing next year. any feedback?

phat

p.s. my main and only ride at the moment is a turner 6 pack.
Ah, the six pack is a nice ride. Very similar to the Id, but neither one is a climber. The Racer-X is by far the ultimate race bike (not just my opinion). It handles like an Italian sportscar. It was one of the best choices I ever made and it's taught me to do a lot of stuff. I used to think you needed long travel to handle tech stuff, but this baby rocked National Trail in Phoenix. It's so light and nimble I can maneuver it with the little upper body strength I have. My next rig will be the racer-X 100. If I had unlimited $$$, I would get the Isogrid version. I got to touch one in Phoenix a couple of months ago. Stiff as a board and lighter than a feather, but at $9000 a bit out of reach.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I'm so ashamed

My bikes (or what's left of them now) will _never_ remotely look as good, no matter how long I spend cleaning them. They look chewed up.

Unless I take the picture from afar and scale it way down.

My ride these days is a '03 IronHorse Hollowpoint. It's litterally the main ride as I had to scavenge two single speeds to put it together.

Maurice

·
Banned
3,883 Posts
Maurice said:
My bikes (or what's left of them now) will _never_ remotely look as good, no matter how long I spend cleaning them. They look chewed up.

Unless I take the picture from afar and scale it way down.

My ride these days is a '03 IronHorse Hollowpoint. It's litterally the main ride as I had to scavenge two single speeds to put it together.

Maurice
Nothing to be ashamed about as long as you ride it. It's a bike, it's going to get banged up. Nothing a new paint job can't make brand new.

·
it's just baby phat..
865 Posts
schnauzers said:
Ah, the six pack is a nice ride. Very similar to the Id, but neither one is a climber. QUOTE]

don't tell that to jimg. :D he is a monster up an down hills on his. as for the six pack, it climbs very well if the rider is in decent shape. thanks for the feedback on the titus.

phat.

p.s. for whatever it's worth the id and 6 pack are very different animals. head angles, bottom bracket heights, overall weights, intended uses.

·
Registered
573 Posts
Schnauzers, I was sort of kidding, I'm just impressed how good all those bikes look. I spent Saturday morning cleaning my bike spotless only to have it soiled beyond recognition in the afternoon... The thing also preferred to break its chain in the middle of a climb rather than endure it.

I do like snow rides, for some reason they tend to clean a bike properly. In fact I'm heading out at noon.

Phat, the SS bikes are taking some rest before the "real" training rides start somewhere in January. The Hollowpoint is quite the pig too, good for climbing. I'm pretty sure your six pack is lighter.

Again, nice bikes people (drooling...).

Maurice

·
Registered
428 Posts
Here is my bike locked up in jail of Marseille , France. Seriously, I took this shot when I was there past August.

To equal the field we need to have Phat and Maurice ride a downhill bike that weighs 50lbs. That might slow them down :D .

Attachments

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.