Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there is all kind of gear to make riding in any temperature possible, but at what point is it too cold for you to ride your bike? For me, 25F/-4C is my "Do I really feel like riding to work?" point. What is your "It's too cold to ride" point, if in fact you do have one?

·
No-Brakes Cougar
1,143 Posts
I don't really have one, though it rarely gets any colder than 30F on my morning rides out here and I build up a lot of heat on my rides. It's funny though how much of a difference an hour can make. I left for work an hour earlier than usual this Saturday and after five minutes I could no longer feel my hands. O_O Gotta start remembering to bring gloves.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
My limit is -25C or -13F with the windchill. I've ridden a couple really pleasant mornings at -20C with no wind, very easy to keep yourself warm enough. On the other hand, my coldest commute ever was -8C with 60km/hr winds. (Wind chill was -30 or so, just horrible).

·
Blind biker
301 Posts
I havent reached my too cold point yet and I have rode in -20F with wind chill and I was just wearing jogging pants, balcava, and a wind breaker. I started the ride w/o a balcava but rode 4 miles and stopped and bought one as I was going to get frost bite or atleast I thought I was. Also a water bottle in my backpack opened and was poured all over my seat and bike causing me not being able to use it all day long.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I don't have one. -30F, -60F with wind chill is the coldest I've done. It doesn't bother me. Had to stand and crank the headwind was so strong. Took forever. I refuse to use a car. They are unnecessary. People drive too much as it is.

·
Registered
231 Posts
havent found mine yet either... 11 deg. F with -15 windchill. I didnt mind it at all, but my bike was really grumpy that day. The derailer cable froze twice and the front brake stopped working for a bit.

·
BIG and Bald
399 Posts
I would have to say somewhere in the lower teens. Unfortunately it's more like anything below 40. My lungs are unable to adapt to the cold weather and end up with bronchitis and/or sinus infection!!! :madmax:

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
Haven't found it yet, but I do start changing my setup significantly. If it's below freezing, I wear ski gloves and a fleece cycling cap that covers my ears, and if there's snow on the roads I switch my mountain bike to flat pedals so I can wear my hiking boots, which are waterproof. I'm also a little wary of trying to ride road bikes below freezing in the PNW - I can recover skids on my mountain bike, but I'm less confident of that on a road bike. I think the coldest I've ridden in so far was in the teens.

·
Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
8,848 Posts
Single digit F temps for me. Just hurts too much to breath. I've tride the lower face mask things to warm the incoming air a bit, but just can't stand having my face covered like that.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'm not quite sure yet, but -15f seems OK. That is about as cold as it gets around here.
About 20 years ago, it got to -65f with wind chill, but I was in college and it was pretty easy to just stay home. I have a short commute, so I can dress pretty warm and not overheat (unless pushing heavy snow).

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
I set a personal lowest-temp record this morning at 4 degrees F. Santa brought me those pearl izumi lobster claw gloves this year, and I realized on my ride this morning that my fingers were the one thing that was making the winter rides miserable. Now they're toasty, so I'm good to go lower at this point...it never gets much colder than maybe 10 below zero F where I'm at, so I'd say temp isn't going to keep me off the bike. It's the ice that makes me drive.

·
Bedwards Of The West
5,451 Posts
^^ They are rediculously warm. We're supposed to have a high of 28 today, and I'm bummed that I didn't bring lighter gloves for the ride home. My hands will be a sweat fest at 28 degrees in those things. They don't breathe much, which is great below maybe 17 degrees. I have some pretty warm windstopper gloves that aren't that old, and I was bummed that I was never going to use them again when I got the lobsters, but in reality, I will only break out the lobsters on those REALLY cold mornings, and even then I'll probably bring the windstoppers for the slightly warmer ride home. If your fingers are what's making you miserable, these are the solution. No more curling up the hands and riding like you have stumps instead of opposable thumbs.

They also made me realize that I'm a one-finger-on-the-brake-lever guy...gotta change that habit really quick...when you try to reach for the brake with one finger, the other finger that it's attached to doesn't let it move. Freaked me out the first couple of times I needed to get to the brakes in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
i'm in fl... in the 30'sF is about the limit for me... just a matter of waiting till middle of the day to ride most of the time... but come summer i'll be buying a decent light system

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
Solomon76 said:
For me, 25F/-4C is my "Do I really feel like riding to work?" point.
For me -4C is barely below my "cold enough to be nice and dry" point :D

I've done my 8-9km (5 mile) commute in about -25C and my old bike was getting pretty sticky there. ... Been a couple of years since we had real winter temps like that.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.