Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what is your favorite grease for packin' them bearings? I'm getting some XT hubs soon, and I hear that the factory setup and grease...well... sucks. There are tons of different greases out there- Finish Line, Park, Pedro's, DuMond, Phil Wood, Triflow, etc. What do you recommend?? Thanks, ya'll.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
Phil Wood is my main bearing grease!

:D
gregk said:
So what is your favorite grease for packin' them bearings? I'm getting some XT hubs soon, and I hear that the factory setup and grease...well... sucks. There are tons of different greases out there- Finish Line, Park, Pedro's, DuMond, Phil Wood, Triflow, etc. What do you recommend?? Thanks, ya'll.
I agree, I have been using Phil Wood grease in my ole XT hubs for many years and it has never let me down! I cleaned and repacked them at least once a year, I am sure all the top brand lubes are good though! TIG. ;)

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I use marine grade outboard motor grease (like for shafts, jets, and such). It is scary thick and sticky stuff. The adhesion keeps it on the bearings instead of getting pushed aside like the yellow Sh!mano junk. No washout either. Cheap, and comes in a rather fetching shade of blue.

·
Registered
313 Posts
I too am a fan of marine grease. The marine grease has additives that resist corrosion better. Over the years, I have had problems with rusty wheel bearings (lots of rain rides, also the bike roof rack driving thru rain did not help either).

I bought a tube of yamaha marine grease for cheap. I have not had a hub or pedal bearing rust on me since.....for 3years. It looks like the park tools grease I used to use.

·
Do It Yourself
5,720 Posts
tscheezy said:
I use marine grade outboard motor grease (like for shafts, jets, and such). It is scary thick and sticky stuff. The adhesion keeps it on the bearings instead of getting pushed aside like the yellow Sh!mano junk. No washout either. Cheap, and comes in a rather fetching shade of blue.
Ditto on the marine bearing grease. Inexpensive and works great anywhere you need a thick grease.

·
not so super...
11,466 Posts
Ritchey Tom Web grease

This is the sticky-ickiest grease I have ever used. It has web-like properties and it stays where you put it, so don't touch anythinhg you don't want it on! Not tooooo expensive at $7.95 a tube which lasts a long time and even fits the end of most mini-grease guns.

Attachments

·
just along for the ride
3,033 Posts
I use the finish line teflon stuff, its near clear and semi sticky with a wide working range of temperture. Seems nice and no smell. I'd buy another tube but its like 6$ so you might want to go with the marine stuff if you are on a budget.

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
Tripple Ditto On the Marine Grease....

gregk said:
I use Quaker State High Temp Marine Grease. This is the stuff that they use to grease boat trailer bearings with as well as other marine applications. It is impervious to water so it won't wash out, sticks where you put it, and it's cheap! You can get a one pound tube of the stuff for about $5.00. I boutht my last one at Wally World about 2 years ago. I'm gonna have to pick up another tube this summer! It works great for head set bearings, wheel bearings and anywhere that you need to put a light coat of grease, i.e. stem bolts, crank bolts, bottom bracket threads, etc. Since I've been using this stuff I've never head a bolt rust or freeze up. If you put just a little dab on the end of the hex wrench after you install say a vbrake bolt and stick it in the bolt head, it will even keep the inside of the bolt from rusting. I like it!

Good Dirt

·
Registered
76 Posts
Its actually not finish line

I just bought a tube and peeled off the label and beneath the label it read White Lightning pool and spa grease. They just simply relabled someone elses product and charged us for it.

·
mx+mtb+SS=happy
23 Posts
opticals said:

Any use the Super Lube Synthetic Grease to pack their shimano Hub?
Is the grease too heavy for the hub?
SuperLube is GREAT stuff. My LBS swears by it and so do I. I have tried many other kinds of grease, and this is by far my favorite. I use it for everything on my mountain bikes and on my motocross bike too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.