Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Sneaker man
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So what exactly is yeti pure tubing, its not like this sort of thing really matters so long as it works, but these sorts of things, i like to know...

also does anyone know what is CU-92?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
Cu-92 is copper and it's number. Cu-92 was a type of Al with copper used by Giant up to about 2001, which was then replaced by their Aluxx series. Copper in in Al makes it a harder alloy, generally speaking.

"Pure" is just Yeti's name for the tubing they use. Any company can do that also. Hell, the tubing of several well known and instantly recognizable frames was on display at Eurobike's Taiwan section in the booths of Taiwanese tubing manufacturers.

·
Sneaker man
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ummm... yes i know that it is aluminium alloy... i ws hoping for a little more detailed info, eg my arc has a couple of 7000sc tubes and i assume the rest is 7005 easton stuff, so what i mean does anyone know what sort of aluminium it is?

also, due to being sleepy, i know what CU92 it, what a should have asked is what is AN6 (old giant tomacs, vs new tomac tomacs)... its all just out of interest.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
mik_git said:
ummm... yes i know that it is aluminium alloy... i ws hoping for a little more detailed info, eg my arc has a couple of 7000sc tubes and i assume the rest is 7005 easton stuff, so what i mean does anyone know what sort of aluminium it is?
If it is a Taiwan sourced frame, then it is unlikely that it is Easton sourced Scandium or Ultralite AL tubing. Generic SC alloy has been available for some time in Taiwan as seen in Kona's, Salsa's, Voodoo's and Brodies. The factories there are just as adept in butting and tubing manipulation (possibly better) then Easton. My understanding before I bought my Arc was that just the downtube is SC alloy.

Back before the ARC was made in Taiwan and made in USA the Easton Stickers stood proud on the frame. Guessing 2005 and earlier, please correct me if I am wrong.

·
Sneaker man
3,656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
yeah it is a us made arc from 2004, and have heard only down tube and also downtube and top tube...

so ayone know what the pure tubing is, 7000, 7005, 6061, something else, a mix of any depending on the frame...?

·
Banned
16,457 Posts
mik_git said:

also, due to being sleepy, i know what CU92 it, what a should have asked is what is AN6 (old giant tomacs, vs new tomac tomacs)... its all just out of interest.
AN6 was some 6000 series heat treated to t6 levels. Last time I saw this going around, Tomac and Litespeed were using them in various frames and tehy were all failing.

·
Registered
259 Posts
mik_git said:
so ayone know what the pure tubing is, 7000, 7005, 6061, something else, a mix of any depending on the frame...?
Yeti's pure tubing on the current 575 is 7005 series aluminum. Although I don't really know what that means either. I read it either on their website or in the catalog. I've seen other manufacturers touting 7005 aluminum too, it must be a damn good alloy.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.