Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't hear much about this bike. For $2600 you get a carbon lefty SL, sram 9, etc.. Seems to be a good value. I currently ride and sometimes race a scalpel and i think i'd like to get a 29er, so i see the F29 and think this should be good but it doesn't seem that way on here.

What needs to be changed? headtube not steep enough, all the geo is off, weight? I'd like a sub 25lbs bike. I've got some saddle time on fox's 29 fork and it seems not nearly as nice as my lefty. The lefty i think is lighter and it's way stiffer and doesn't make noises like one of the foxes i rode.

My use for the bike would be xc style with an ocasional harder tech. trail. And also race a couple times a year, hopefully more races next season. I want something fast but still able to ride "everywere". I'm 6"2' 155lbs and like to stand up and hammer.

I've ridden a jet 9 and i feel the headtube was a little too steep. Also test rode a G2 fisher and it felt good but i don't like trek/fisher/bontrager very much but the superfly is just calling me.

jc

·
Registered
450 Posts
Cannondale

In my exhaustive research on 29ers a c-dale dealer told me that cannondale is still just sticking 29" wheels on 26" in geometry. He said for a mainline bike fisher is far superior geometry wise (of course, he sold those too).

Also, now that c-dale has been "acquired" I don't know how much attention will be given to the subtleties of geometry. Big Box store buyers don't care much about that stuff.

·
Registered
20 Posts
mdb1974 said:
In my exhaustive research on 29ers a c-dale dealer told me that cannondale is still just sticking 29" wheels on 26" in geometry. He said for a mainline bike fisher is far superior geometry wise (of course, he sold those too).

Also, now that c-dale has been "acquired" I don't know how much attention will be given to the subtleties of geometry. Big Box store buyers don't care much about that stuff.
do you even understand anything that you typed in that response? i'm guessing no. :nono:

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Havn't looked at c-dale geometry but nothing wrong with 25er geometry in a 29er package. The chainstays would have to be longer of course, other than that they are quite similar. The G2 geometry works, but is honestly a hair goofy/atradtiional. I wouldn't worry about. One of the best ways to find geometry is look at what you are riding (even in 26er), what you like about it, and apply to the bike regardless of wheel size. Hope it helps... Andre

·
Registered
450 Posts
I understand this

Someone who rides a 2000+ 29er that a certified dealer won't even recommend is probably not very good at guessing.

You know, on second thought I could ask the other LBS dealer of Cannondale what they think of the 29er line, oh wait, I did. They terminated their relationship do to the acquisition. Hmmm. Any more guesses pissclams. I imagine you are full of them, at least that's what you do when you go to buy a bike.

·
I don't huck.
2,543 Posts
I rode one and liked it. If the Lefty fork appeals to ya, the rest of the bike seemed pretty solid, if not a bit harsh riding, but I was used to a bit more fork travel on a steel hardtail, so I noticed that more than anything else. I prefer a springy kind of ride. It was a very capable feeling, stiff pedaling bike and the Lefty fork steers like a Lefty which is to say accurately and precisely.

I would not worry about the geometry thing. If you like the bike, the numbers mean squat.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I've got the F29 1 and love it - I also sell 'em now, but I'll tell you objectively:

Niner EMD - best Hard Tail 29er I've owned, tough to beat in aluminum HT.
C-Dale F29-1 - Not as stiff as the EMD and the cockpit feels a bit smaller, but Lefty Fork is much better than the Reba IMO
Paragon 29er - Liked it, but not nearly as much as the EMD or F29 (both are much stiffer laterally than the paragon) and the paragon failed on me (as the seat tube where many 07s did)

·
Registered
783 Posts
Well until recently the F-series had poor rear tire clearance. They fixed that finally. It's also kinda heavy for the price point, despite the lefty.

So while the front end definately sports some bling factor, you run the numbers and it seems the competition gives you more bang for the buck. They need to hurry up and do a FS 29er, priced appropriately I think they'd kill the competition.

·
Registered
20 Posts
mdb1974 said:
Someone who rides a 2000+ 29er that a certified dealer won't even recommend is probably not very good at guessing.

You know, on second thought I could ask the other LBS dealer of Cannondale what they think of the 29er line, oh wait, I did. They terminated their relationship do to the acquisition. Hmmm. Any more guesses pissclams. I imagine you are full of them, at least that's what you do when you go to buy a bike.
keep trying all-star. you obviously don't know anything about bike geometry or 29'rs in general so you rely on your LBS who feeds you some bs crap about incorrect geometry that flys way over your nubbie little head and you buy into it. then you take the time to post in a thread where you have no subject knowledge and regurgitate and perpetuate the same crap to someone else while pretending to understand it all.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Deme Moore said:
Well until recently the F-series had poor rear tire clearance. They fixed that finally. It's also kinda heavy for the price point, despite the lefty.

So while the front end definately sports some bling factor, you run the numbers and it seems the competition gives you more bang for the buck. They need to hurry up and do a FS 29er, priced appropriately I think they'd kill the competition.
can be a little heavy, not bad though, and nothing that can't be helped dramatically by replacing the cinder blocks for wheels that come stock. and ya, they upped the rear wheel clearance on this year's models.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I rode one and thought it was a great bike. I just liked the handling better on the '08 Paragon, and the GF was lighter when put on the shop scale with similar spec for $800 less. The lefty is great, which is an advantage, but I didn't think it was $800 better than the Fox, or farther enough ahead to compensate for handling that wasn't as good for me as the G2.

·
Registered
450 Posts
pissclams said:
keep trying all-star. you obviously don't know anything about bike geometry or 29'rs in general so you rely on your LBS who feeds you some bs crap about incorrect geometry that flys way over your nubbie little head and you buy into it. then you take the time to post in a thread where you have no subject knowledge and regurgitate and perpetuate the same crap to someone else while pretending to understand it all.
Nice pissclams, thanks for the rant, that's what we all come here for. How bout some facts. Here is a review from an online pub.

"The bike was a bit of a conundrum for me at first. The combination of the long wheelbase and slightly slacker, stretched out front end geometry made cornering a chore for awhile. I had just come off a couple of razor sharp steering, XC steeds and the Cannondale took awhile to get used to."

The article has some nice things to say, the bike can be "fun" but really, from a geometry standpoint can not handle the single track well. See for yourself here...

http://twentynineinches.com/2006/12/05/cannondale-caffeine-f-29-update/

Nobody argues that Cannondale has aggressively or seriously pursued the 29er market... see here... http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6171.

Of course, you may not be interested in legitimate comment and resort to name calling almost immediately (and, unfortunately, I have responded in kind) but others, especially the guy who wrote this post may be interested in some real information.

The fact of the matter is if you want positive reviews you can find them on the forums. Of course, as we all know (you especially) one bristles as the concept of slamming something they just paid $2,500 for.

You slam information I got from 2 LBS's and I am sure you will rant some more about these online pubs (printed pubs are not exactly giving the C-Dale 29er line glowing reviews either). Regardless, Cannondale's acquisition by Dorel reflects there recent decline in the market. They lost their shirt in the motocross market and their bike product line has suffered. They used to be one the great innovators, now they are behind the curve. Their new big-box focus is unlikely to enable them to catch up.

·
Keep on Rockin...
6,471 Posts
Mixed bag...

The F29 has got the Lefty going for it. That's good and bad. The super stiff fork sticks hard corners. As much as I like my Reba it's noodley like all QR forks; including Fox. Some say the Lefty is not good in the durability department. It also requires one to use a Lefty specific front hub/wheel. Something not mentioned much is how narrow the flange width is on a Lefty hub. Narrow flange equals weaker wheel.

The frame seems pretty heavy for aluminum as far as I can tell.

The chainstays are too long.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Haymarket said:
I rode one and thought it was a great bike. I just liked the handling better on the '08 Paragon, and the GF was lighter when put on the shop scale with similar spec for $800 less. The lefty is great, which is an advantage, but I didn't think it was $800 better than the Fox, or farther enough ahead to compensate for handling that wasn't as good for me as the G2.
My idea exactly. I loved the precise lefty steering, geometry be damned! The $800 is a tough one to swallow though. Them Fissures are one farkin' deal in the mainstream OEM world. Maybe that's why they can't keep them in stock?

·
Registered
20 Posts
mdb1974 said:
Nice pissclams, thanks for the rant, that's what we all come here for. How bout some facts. Here is a review from an online pub.

"The bike was a bit of a conundrum for me at first. The combination of the long wheelbase and slightly slacker, stretched out front end geometry made cornering a chore for awhile. I had just come off a couple of razor sharp steering, XC steeds and the Cannondale took awhile to get used to."

The article has some nice things to say, the bike can be "fun" but really, from a geometry standpoint can not handle the single track well. See for yourself here...

http://twentynineinches.com/2006/12/05/cannondale-caffeine-f-29-update/

Nobody argues that Cannondale has aggressively or seriously pursued the 29er market... see here... http://www.bikemagic.com/news/article/mps/uan/6171.

Of course, you may not be interested in legitimate comment and resort to name calling almost immediately (and, unfortunately, I have responded in kind) but others, especially the guy who wrote this post may be interested in some real information.

The fact of the matter is if you want positive reviews you can find them on the forums. Of course, as we all know (you especially) one bristles as the concept of slamming something they just paid $2,500 for.

You slam information I got from 2 LBS's and I am sure you will rant some more about these online pubs (printed pubs are not exactly giving the C-Dale 29er line glowing reviews either). Regardless, Cannondale's acquisition by Dorel reflects there recent decline in the market. They lost their shirt in the motocross market and their bike product line has suffered. They used to be one the great innovators, now they are behind the curve. Their new big-box focus is unlikely to enable them to catch up.
both of my lbs said you're an idiot. thanks for playing.

·
Avenger of Evil
577 Posts
I purchased the F29 because of the lefty.
Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

I have no regrets on my purchase.
Just under 25 lbs stock, and looking to change the wheels for something lighter.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.