Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Please be quiet and ride!
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are the 888's any good? I'm not interested in one, but a friend of mine is(was). When we looked at the MTBR reviews, there were several mentions of cracking, and poor performance. One owner stated that he went back to a $300 used Super T, and it was worlds better than the 888. What is the deal?? Is this just first model gremlins?

·
Registered
287 Posts
I love mine

Bikebrain said:
Are the 888's any good? I'm not interested in one, but a friend of mine is(was). When we looked at the MTBR reviews, there were several mentions of cracking, and poor performance. One owner stated that he went back to a $300 used Super T, and it was worlds better than the 888. What is the deal?? Is this just first model gremlins?
I have a 7'' model which I got in Feb. I have had 0 problems with it. The adjustments work well, and it is very plush. Some people have issue with trying to change the oil/ adjust preload. I say anyone with reasonable mechanical skills can do it. Having said this, I will tell you of my racing buddy's experience. After one day on the fork (8'' version) he lost all rebound damping. When his lbs told Marzocchi about it , they said "Well, he is the only person in the world who has this problem, he must have done something to it, we're not warrantying it". It took lots of time and bs to finally get it warrantied. I would maybe wait for the 05 models, perhaps the bugs have been worked out.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Haven't had any issues with mine... and I've put lots of use on it already.

Changed the oil in it twice already, and keep er' clean and all is well.

Changing the preload & oil settings is easy on it... I'm no genious... and it wasn't rocket science to me. Pop the top cap, and there's the stuff. Just watch out for the pressure on the super-tight-fitting left-side cap if you get the 888RR, like I have.

-Matt

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.