Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Trentmeyers
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are these for disc brakes? this bike is a trek top fuel 98 that i am ugrading with.. at the moment has v-brakes. I hope to somday put discs on but can this bike have discs at the back? take a look at the photo

Attachments

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Hard to say...

Trentmeyers said:
Are these for disc brakes? this bike is a trek top fuel 98 that i am ugrading with.. at the moment has v-brakes. I hope to somday put discs on but can this bike have discs at the back? take a look at the photo
They could be an old style caliper mount. They could also be panier/rack mounts. Are there similar holes on the drive side or only on the non-drive side? If there's only holes on the one side, my best guess is that they're disc mounts but you'll likely have to find some sort of adaptor. And you'll need to be sure your hubs are disc ready.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Trentmeyers said:
That doesn't look like a standard disk brake mount to me, but maybe there wasn't a standard back in '98.

Here's a page with photos that might help.

http://mountain.bike198.com/how-to-install-and-adjust-disc-brakes/

·
Trentmeyers
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes the hubs are not disc ready.. i forgot to add that. thanks for the input i probably will need some sort of adapter

·
Registered
699 Posts
Trentmeyers said:
Im guessing you cant use any new avid or shimano adapters right?
The adapter will have to be frame specific, designed for your bike.

As suggested, a 30 second look at eBay found these two items-

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=190366753368&Category=27949

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&Item=260539921340&Category=98083

I'm not sure if either, neither, or both will fit your bike. Check and measure your bolt holes. Ask the sellers questions. They should know. Look carefully at the pictures, because one seems to require some kind of intermediate adapter which isn't included. I'm not a 'disk brake' guy, so I'm not the one to ask. Any experts care to chime in?

·
Registered
5,851 Posts
It's the second one in CaliforniaL33's link to eBay. A riding buddy of mine has a 4300 that had those holes and he bought the mount from a local LBS. Then he bought disk wheels and disc brakes.

·
Permanent Noob
344 Posts
Check with a Trek dealer if you can. I was able to get mine from them and only paid $15 vs. the $30 I was seeing on ebay at the time. Make sure they give you the bolts for mounting as well. The final setup should look like this: (Asssuming I figured out how to get the pic to post!)

It works great with the BB7s I added a few months back.

Attachments

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Trentmeyers said:
Im guessing you cant use any new avid or shimano adapters right?
The Trek adapter merely adapts their weird mount to the IS standard so you can use other standard IS adapters (like those that come with brake and rotor kits).

Earlier not sure you understood you need different hubs, disc specific hubs, so essentially new wheels.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts