Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie to Mountain Biking and just bought a used Specialized. Rear tire has standard valve for airing up tires. But front tire has this, which doesn't fit pump. What is it and how do I convert it to stardard valve? Thanks...

·
Fart smeller
Paid to post this crap.
24,864 Posts
Ya twist that top counter-clockwise until it stops, push it down to kinda break the seal (should pop back up), then ya fill it with yer pump, but ya gotta have a pump that will work with it. Most pumps have a dual head on them these days (Presta y Schrader). Schrader valves are like the ones on your car, like the one on your rear wheel.

Or get the adapter like MSU suggested. They're always nice to have in yer tool kit anyways.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,994 Posts
Thanks mucho. My pump doesn't have presta..soooo..must get an adapter. Appreciate you!!!
Doubtful, most pumps can do both, either by switching the internals around at the cap, or with a double-sided valve, or internal rubber o-ring that will squeeze down over both. I don't think I've seen a pump that can only do one.

·
Elitest thrill junkie
40,994 Posts
I thought that was an old wives tale nowadays.
Yeah, I used to drill out rims, never had a problem with it. Unless you got a real narrow rim, I can't imagine this ever being a significant concern.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
If the rear is a Schrader valve and the rims appear to match, it's very likely that the rim is already drilled for the larger valve size and the previous owner substituted a presta.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.