Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I've got a rear Specialized Sworks wheel. The one that comes with the red Mavic X517 rims and the rebadged Hugi hub.

There is this square block of what looks like aluminum in the hollow part of the rim. It moves about 1/2" or more and you can see part of it through one of the spoke holes. It is too big to fit through any of the spoke or valve holes, so it had to have gotten there during manufacturing. When you spin the wheel real slow you can hear and see it move. During regular riding the cent. force of the wheel keeps it in one spot but on rough slow downhills when I am on the rear brakes, I can here it clicking really loud.

Any ideas what it is?

·
Old man on a bike
12,395 Posts
Like Shiggy sez..I've had that piece rattle around to drive me nuts on some wheelsets, a little glue or similar sticky carefully applied works fine...

·
Registered
192 Posts
3M Super 77 Aerosol Adhesive

3M makes a spray glue (basically rubber cement on steroids) that works well for gluing annoying pieces of debris down inside the rim. You can get it at office supply stores. Use it OUTSIDE (stinky stuff!). Just squirt a bit into a rim hole in the area of the rattler, and it will lock it down. Keep it off the rim stickers as it will cause them to warp and bubble. I use this for drill shavings, etc., that are too big to be blown or shaken out of the rim. Try to keep it off the nipples if you can, but it's not a big deal if you don't.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.