Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What is this santa cruze DH bike worth it?

2K views 16 replies 13 participants last post by  .WestCoastHucker. 
#1 ·
Hey all I can't find more information on this bike. I want to buy it for my brother but not sure if its a real v10 version.

The seller says =

its a 2009
Santa Cruz V10 with upgraded 2014 components: Boxer fork, wheelset, rear derailleur and bottom bracket.

Santa Cruz V-10, size medium.
Boxxer fork
Fox DHX RC2
9sp drive train (SRAM XO carbon shifter and SRAM X7 rear derailleur)
Code and Juicy brakes
Gravity cranks
Front Travel: 200 mm
Rear Travel: 180 mm

See photos

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
There's a little bit of a new market for bikes like these aside from their DH and bike park intended use...mid-drive motors. While the higher powered mid-drives like the Bafang are taboo on the ebike forum, when you stick one on a long travel, burly bike, you can have a blast. Even in places where the bike trails prohibit ebikes, bikes of this caliber are even fun on singletrack and 2-track for OHV's. I ride my '08 Nomad with a dual crown on a ranch where we host state circuit and national circuit enduros. These motors are powerful and can easily do pedal assist and usually have a throttle lever for those spots on a trail where you need a strong, quick punch.

I do dirt motorcycles and mountainbikes. These mid-drive MTB's are not a wimpy bike path level bike. This application isn't for everyone, but these mid-drives like the Bafang BBSHD are a great match to these older long travel bikes. It keeps the investment price down. The bike has to have a relatively straight interface of the downtube into the bottom bracket like this SC-V10 has for a mid-drive to make a decent fit. Our main local trail allows ebikes, so this is something one has to consider where you'll be able to ride.

#6 ·
Thing to watch out for when buying used DH bikes is hidden issues. DH bikes, if ridden for their purpose, will be subjected to some of the hardest forces a bike can handle (or not handle) and will have been crashed a fair share of times.

The potential issues can be:

1. frame cracks you can’t easily see
2. wasted bearings and bushings
3. alignment issues (more noticeable)

If truly considering, have an experienced mechanic go over the bike to check for issues before buying.

Hope things work out for you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.