Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i've been throwin around the idea of selling my lemond road bike and getting a singlespeed road bike. i have an ss/fixed monocog but i really like the feel of drop bars and drops look ridiculous on the moncog. if i sell it, the bike new was 600, so i have no idea here but i guessing i could sell it for $200, but i'm probably wrong.

any way what's out there? since i'm not for sure i want to do it, price doesn't matter.

edit: all the singlespeed conversion banner ads got to me. i want to know what the difference between the different priced ones are, like how does each set up work. i still want to see the singlespeed road bikes because they're bad ass

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
Funny, I just spent a lot of time reasearching the same thing.

On my list:

Salsa Casseroll (my first choice if were pulling the trigger)
Kona Paddy Wagon
Van Dessel Country Road Bob
Raleigh One Way
Surly Steamroller
Bianchi San Jose SS
Specialized Tricross Single

I know I missed some.....

Also, find an old frame with horizontal dropouts and make a cheap SS (my old Schwinn 80's World Sport is getting extremely tempting)

·
Registered
104 Posts
My commuter is a Salsa Caseroll, and I think its a great bike for the $. I've got gears on mine right now, but it can be SS'd. And you can run full fenders and 32c tires with the fenders, if that's important to you. And it rides like you'd expect a steel frame to ride. There are not enough practical road bikes made these days. Thanks, Salsa.

·
Ride, Sleep, Work
379 Posts
88 rex said:
Funny, I just spent a lot of time reasearching the same thing.

On my list:

Salsa Casseroll (my first choice if were pulling the trigger)
Kona Paddy Wagon
Van Dessel Country Road Bob
Raleigh One Way
Surly Steamroller
Bianchi San Jose SS
Specialized Tricross Single

I know I missed some.....

Also, find an old frame with horizontal dropouts and make a cheap SS (my old Schwinn 80's World Sport is getting extremely tempting)

I have a old Schwinn Paramount that converted to SS. I have a total of 4.00 it the bike. I got a flat and had to buy a tube.

·
Jam Econo
4,213 Posts
I think your best bet is 80's Metal! Steel that is.
I don't know the vintage of my commuter, but the price was right, read free, and it rides like a Cadillac.

There are tons of 80's Japanese bikes such as Univega, Panasonic, Centurion, etc., that have been put out to pasture so to speak and can be had for next to nothing at tag sales. Most have semi-horizontal dropouts so singlespeed conversion is a snap.

·
Registered
7,387 Posts
My favourite road bike is a Pompino - I've got 2 of them. They are really versatile. I've used mine for sportifs, trail riding, and even bashed it over a mtb course. The cheap price is a bonus because the frame gives nothing away in ride or handling. A Ti version is rumoured.
For something different take a look at the Singular Peregrine (scroll down a bit). This firm's bikes have a really outstanding ride. My Swift SS is much better than 2 other 29ers I have owned, so I have great expectations for the Peregrine. I may buy one and see if it's better than my Pompino.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Lots to choose from, once you start looking, just about everybody makes one.
Here's my '05 Specializedd Langster in full commuter dress. Lemonds are good riding road bikes, not sure I would change it to a SS.

Attachments

·
Out spokin'
In cog? Neato!
13,024 Posts
RetroS said:
Lots to choose from, once you start looking, just about everybody makes one.
Here's my '05 Specializedd Langster in full commuter dress. Lemonds are good riding road bikes, not sure I would change it to a SS.
Do I spy Onza HO pedals?

--Sparty

·
Registered
327 Posts
Sparticus said:
Do I spy Onza HO pedals?

--Sparty
Nope. Just Crank Bros, candie SLs. I was slow to switch to a MTB pedal on a road bike, but the recessed cleat of MTB shoes makes it so much easier.

·
trail rat
7,825 Posts
Surly CrossCheck; give it some cross tirs and it likes the dirt too.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts