Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
I would like to refresh the question and alter it a little on the way:

What is the widest tire in 2011 and do 29er tires benefit, widenesswise that is, by using for example a Kris Holm 47mm 29er rim?

(Like fat tires spread more by using 90 0r 100mm rims)

Give us your thoughts please.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Widest tire is from surly at 4.7 inches but it is not a 29er, however it is so tall and fat that it is almost the same diameter as a 29er. You can buy the ridgid fork from surly and the 100mm rim and the 135mm front hub and put it on your 29er, smae can also be done with the Pugsley front end but I would just buy a Moonlander and be done with it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I know about the 26er fat tires but what I am looking for is a fat 29er rim/tire combo for in the rear end of my bike..

·
Registered
364 Posts
Joop, I've had a 29er Velocity P35 with 2.4 Ardent tubeless for a few months now and I'm really impresssed. I can ride this combo at 18-20psi and the cornering grip and comfort is great. It rolls in the rough easier too which is a benefit on a rigid bike. I don't notice the added rim weight.

So yes, 29er tyres do handle better with lower pressures supported by a wide rim. This was advise I got from a well-respected frame builder and he's 100% right.

Have a look at Flows / new Pacenti 28mm rims as a minimum, or as an ideal the P35, maybe a kris holm.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts