Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the true weight of mavic 819's including the spoke inserts?

Also does any one know the actual weight of these items?

Bontrager tubeless rim strip and valve.

Dt Swiss tubeless rim strip and valve.

Stans no tubes rim strip.

I am building a new tubeless wheelset and need some info. Thanks

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
sunnyside said:
What is the true weight of mavic 819's including the spoke inserts?

Also does any one know the actual weight of these items?

Bontrager tubeless rim strip and valve.

Dt Swiss tubeless rim strip and valve.

Stans no tubes rim strip.

I am building a new tubeless wheelset and need some info. Thanks
819 ~505g

Bonty Duster w/rim strip ~475g

Valve weight is about the same.

I do not have the Bonty Race Lite rims in 26". The Mavic and Bonty systems are the only ones on your list that are UST spec. I have been using the 819 and Duster (Rhythm) for years. Both work very well but I prefer the wider Duster for ease of use.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Specifically I am going to use Bontrager Racelites or Race X Lites the difference between these two I am told is when the extrusion die starts to wear the rim becomes thicker so the weight increases.

When the dies are new Bonty brands them Race X Lites. When worn, Racelites. I have weighed both, the ones I have weigh 420grams Race X light, 435 grams Race light.

I am also considering Dt swiss 4.2d. I am looking for a total weight after converting to tubless. The 4.2 rim weighs 400 grams according to DT's web site.

I like 819's but am looking for something lighter with a 28 hole drilling.

Does anyone have an opinion on the Bonty's VS the DT's. Out of these which rim would build the stiffer wheel?

·
Registered
6,762 Posts
The Bontrager...

rim sealing strips weigh 35g + or - 3g, the vavle stems weight 8g plus or minus about a gram. I don't have the weight of the Stans strip and valve, never weighed one before, though I've used the Stans kit. I know from feel that the Stans strip is a bit heavier than the Bonty strip and valve, but couldn't tell you how much heavier. Probably not that much. I have no experience with the DT strip.

Personally I'm a big fan of the TLR Mustang and Duster rims. Both are of good quality and reasonable price. And, IMHO, highly under rated. A good bang for the buck rim. Not the prettiest or the blingiest, but pretty is as pretty does IMHO.

Good Dirt

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
If you're set on something lighter weight or 28h, then the Bonty's are a decent choice. The stock Race rims that came on my bike (with the hard plastic rim strips pre installed) were a decent set of rims that held up quite well to the beating I dished out. They are quite underrated.

The 819's are what I currently run and I've put mine through a lot (and I'm a Clyde class and fairly aggressive rider), which says a lot about their durability. Not as light as some of the other choices, but a good rim. A little narrow thought (as Shiggy noted in his comment...hey Mavic, how about an 821?!!).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.