Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What is the San Andreas?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts
VeloFello said:
....darn.. I was going to do a poll - but you beat me to it Dave! ;-)
No problem:thumbsup: I voted;)

I have owned a San Andreas for close to 9 years and have used it for EVERYTHING! Now that I am a bit older and 'somewhat' wiser, I would have to say it falls between the XC Trail / AM categories (By today's standards).

Dave

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
I've never owned one but have wanted one since 1992..
Does that count? :D
I voted XC Trail but it's also an All Mountain bike..
It just depends on what shock you are using...

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
After owning a 06 and riding it around Bootleg Canyon for 2.5 years and putting at least 5000 miles on it, I'm saying it leans towards "All Mountain", although the other Eric is right, it really depends on what shock is fitted.

I was wondering why it got moved back to the freeriding reviews section.
Who told them to do that?

·
Registered
784 Posts
I can only speak of the San Andreas DNA and even if I set it up with 7 x 7 inches, it still feels more of an XC/AM bike. Since mine got the longer 7.875 x 2.25 shock, the HA is a very XC'ish 69 degrees even when paired with a 555mm AC height front fork. The DNA isn't as flickable as my de-comissioned Sin but it did felt more stable on the DH due to it's lower seat mast and longer wheelbase. The suspension also felt more linear compared to the very rising rate feeling of the Sin suspension. It's a good AM bike but I don't feel confident that it can take the repeated abuse of modern day free riding or even light free riding. I don't jump / huck my bike anymore cuz I'm a lardy 220 lbs guy and i try to pick the smoother lines when going dh with this bike.

·
Registered
40 Posts
XC trail and AM are my choices..

setup mine with a 5" fr/ 4.5" rr for 2hr xc races and weight in about 25.5lbs and
6" fr /6" rr for long enduro/AM rides and somewhere slightly over 31lbs.

no propedal or platform shock used and only on long uphills(15-20mins) will the normal shock goes bobby.

wonderful frame that can do most rides except those with huge drops where a more strengthen frame will do..

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
So has anyone else noticed, that the vote total adds up to 114.29% ?

LMAO !

For Tim; I thought all those things together is "All Mountian".
I hate that term, we used to call bikes like that "trail bikes", but some corporate genius decided to come up with a new name.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Out of all the terms that marketing departments came up with over the years, All Mountain is probably the one that is the best and makes most sense, as it truly describes what 'that' bike is meant to be for. I like it....

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Mig Pilot said:
Out of all the terms that marketing departments came up with over the years, All Mountain is probably the one that is the best and makes most sense, as it truly describes what 'that' bike is meant to be for. I like it....
You better hope that Mig of yours is a Generation 5 aircraft, because I'm sending some friends with F-22s out of Nellis AFB...:incazzato:
Make that, friend with a F-22. That's all he'll need. :ihih:

·
Maaaaan
4,259 Posts
Oh...I see, it totals up to more than 100% because it's multi choice...
Well, the laughs on me.
I have felt really stupid lately.

I did warn the U.S.A.F. that a Mig flying Ausi, is trying to overthrow U.S. mountain biking policy though. :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.