Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I had to use the smilies since I do not know how to post a drawn picture. So there is a log triangle on the trails that I ride and it looks like this. I think if i just ride it over my big ring on my crank will get caught up on the top log. Its about 3 feet high. And its in the middle of some single track. It is really stap so i dont think jumping it is an option. What is the correct way to ride over something like this?

.................................... :)
.................................. :).:)
.................................:).:).:)
...............................:).:).:).:)
............................. :) :) :) :) :)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,057 Posts
mtnbkr33 said:
Ok I had to use the smilies since I do not know how to post a drawn picture. So there is a log triangle on the trails that I ride and it looks like this. I think if i just ride it over my big ring on my crank will get caught up on the top log. Its about 3 feet high. And its in the middle of some single track. It is really stap so i dont think jumping it is an option. What is the correct way to ride over something like this?
Unweight your front fork and/or do a wheelie right as you're about to hit the logs, so your front wheel ends up on top of the pile. "Buck" the rear end and shift your weight forward while letting your momentum carry you over to the other side. Let momentum and gravity do as much of the work as possible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,001 Posts
The coolest way to do it would be to endo when your front tire is at the very top, pivot off that tire into a 180, land on your back wheel (on the other side of the obsticle) then pop another 180 to get yourself pointed in the right direction, and pedal away. Smoooooth. :D
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,057 Posts
dir-T said:
The coolest way to do it would be to endo when your front tire is at the very top, pivot off that tire into a 180, land on your back wheel (on the other side of the obsticle) then pop another 180 to get yourself pointed in the right direction, and pedal away. Smoooooth. :D
I can do that! I just choose not to... ;)
 

·
Misfit Psycles
Joined
·
2,772 Posts
dir-T said:
The coolest way to do it would be to endo when your front tire is at the very top, pivot off that tire into a 180, land on your back wheel (on the other side of the obsticle) then pop another 180 to get yourself pointed in the right direction, and pedal away. Smoooooth. :D
I have yet to master the rubber down landing. But I rule at the crash and burn. My goal is to crush the obstacle into submission. i am still learning the great rock crush...
 

·
I always bleed like this.
Joined
·
496 Posts
Carefully? No No No, that is how to porcupines get their freak on.
You build up some speed, then a little more, lift the front tire so it kinda almost goes all the way over the log and then you SLAM the big ring into the log. Now you really need to get in in there, like stuck in there, then you drive through. Your big chainring will act like a chainsaw blade and you cut your way right through. That's why you see all these logs chewed down to bits all over the trail. Everybody does it this way. Those bunny hopping geeks are too cool for school. Us regular guys don't have time to show off.
 

·
paintbucket
Joined
·
2,825 Posts
PoorBehavior said:
You build up some speed, then a little more, lift the front tire so it kinda almost goes all the way over the log and then you SLAM the big ring into the log. Now you really need to get in in there, like stuck in there, then you drive through. Your big chainring will act like a chainsaw blade and you cut your way right through.
That reminds me of how I tell people to learn to bunny hop: Go straight at the curb just as fast as you can and, at the last second, hop. Repeat as necessary.
 

·
Occupation: Human
Joined
·
250 Posts
unlimited possibilities

can it be done as illustrated by http://tuktok.com/loghop/ except do a 360 while in the air, ???

you would probably have to start rotating before lift-off...

when i was a kid freestyle was the coolest thing to do on a bike... thankfully, things have changed for the better. hahaha...
 

·
Hairy man
Joined
·
4,923 Posts
PoorBehavior said:
Carefully? No No No, that is how to porcupines get their freak on.
You build up some speed, then a little more, lift the front tire so it kinda almost goes all the way over the log and then you SLAM the big ring into the log. Now you really need to get in in there, like stuck in there, then you drive through. Your big chainring will act like a chainsaw blade and you cut your way right through. That's why you see all these logs chewed down to bits all over the trail. Everybody does it this way. Those bunny hopping geeks are too cool for school. Us regular guys don't have time to show off.
My technique works pretty much the same, but at that point when you need to commit to rolling down the backside, instead I prefer to have a moment of grave doubt, unclip my right foot and kind of jump down and to the right, so I end up standing with one foot on the ground and the rest of my bike way up in the air with my left foot still in and my left hand still on the bar. It's actually trickier than riding it out, which exactly why I do it. Because I'm so damn tricky.
 

·
Am I getting too bulky?
Joined
·
800 Posts
Three feet of log pile is a pretty good pile. Depending on how steep it is, and how wide the trail is, you might want to try going at the pile at an angle rather than straight up and over. Attacking the pile at an angle will decrease the effective steepness and make it easier to deal with riding the ring over the top. A right to left attack angle is preferable for better crank ratcheting clearance. Oh, and believe it or not, doing piles like that on a riged bike is way easier than on a bike with suspension.
 

·
drev-il, not Dr. Evil!
Joined
·
3,910 Posts
Bikehigh said:
...Attacking the pile at an angle will decrease the effective steepness and make it easier to deal with riding the ring over the top...
This has not been my experience. I have the best results whenever I go as perpendicular to the log as possible. Whenever I go at an angle, my tires seem to slide sideways, I lose traction, then I end up stalling.
 

·
life is a barrel o'fun
Joined
·
2,502 Posts
The humane thing to do would be to affix a tiny helmet to the smiley face on top. Otherwise he'll be screaming in terror and bleeding all over your chainrings.

We don't get many smiley piles around here, but I'm pretty sure that would be the technique.
 
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
Top