Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
To me it was pretty lame

but I lived there before the Duthie Zoo went in. There really isn't much in the way of trails IN the city proper. There is this under I-5 http://evergreenmtb.org/colonnade/ but other than that, don't expect much unless you are going to load up and drive.

Is your job in Seattle or is it just in the Seattle general area? Being able to live over on the east side out towards the snoqualmie pass would make for easier / quicker access to trails, but that might make for a crappy commute if your job is downtown.

For what it's worth I had better biking living in Chapel Hill, NC than Seattle, WA.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
"Duthie Zoo" I like that... :thumbsup:

"How good" totally depends on where you are coming from. People from places like Chicago rave about the riding around here and people from Boulder b!itch about it...

Personally, I think we have it made compared to most places.

But, "in the city" is pretty non-existant like most major metropolitan places. Unless you call Squamish a "city". ;)

·
Wierdo
3,183 Posts
If in city riding is important to you, then we suck.

If you are OK driving 30-60 minutes from Seattle, you can find fun and challenging stuff to ride, year-round.

1.5-4 hours from Seattle, you can find some of the best riding around.

Check out the stickey at the top of the Washington forum.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I moved out here a short time ago, and having a car here is really nice. You don't need one for getting around Seattle, this place is super bike friendly once you get the hills figured out. But there are a lot of nice places a short drive from the city that can feel like a challenge to get to until you get a vehicle.

·
Registered
402 Posts
If you can afford to live in Issaquah, Sammamish, Snoqualmie, North Bend, Fall city, or Carnation, there are a dozen+ trail systems withing 30 minutes; many within 15. Also a lot of riding near Black Diamond/Covington/Maple Valley and Bellingham is really good. From what I hear, there's good riding on the Olympic peninsula (Bremerton, etc.) but I haven't been fortunate enough to sample.

Good luck.

·
Wierdo
3,183 Posts
If you plan to live in Seattle, your only choice is to move close to Colonnade. Colonnade is a fun place, but not the same as a trail ride in the woods. Otherwise you are SOL. If you live in the Burbs, plenty of places to move to where you can ride your bike to trails.

·
Registered
5,746 Posts
My guess is that Seattle would still kick nyc's for overall trail access. Yeah, they have that one former junky park in town. And, we do too. But, outside that, access has gotta be better here.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Like someone else mentioned is the job in Seattle or just the Seattle area. A lot of the time when people say they're moving to Seattle they really mean the huge surrounding area. If it's actually in Seattle, I don't recommend living across the bridge. Tolling starts soon and it wont go away. If it's one of the many cities in the Seattle area you have a lot of options.

·
Fat-tired Roadie
18,453 Posts
I was in Manhattan for a while.

I haven't tried to access trails here without a car, but I think it's still better. Here, I can afford to own a car.

If you can't have a car, you can still hop on a bus to Issaquah and access Grand Ridge and Duthie Hill. I'd be really surprised if St. Ed's doesn't have a couple public transit options as well.

Throwing a leg over a road bike here is a lot better than in Manhattan.

·
Registered
97 Posts
BeaverTail said:
well I don't mean driving to the trail. I mean walking out of my house, taking a quick trip and hitting the trail on bike. I am coming from nyc.
If you will work in Seattle proper but want quick trail access think about living in North Seattle/Shoreline/Lake Forest Park. Ride downtown to work on the Burke, easy bus access to downtown as well.

St. Edwards is an easy spin in the other direction for some decent trails. Nothing technical, but some fun single track. Not a huge trail system, but a good climb, and you can do an hour in there without doubling anything up. Run laps or run stuff in reverse to get longer rides in.

There really isn't any good east coast type single track out here but there is great single track, it's just different and might take some drive time. Once the snow is out of the hills you will get some of the best riding in the country.

·
Registered
829 Posts
I grew up in NYC and I think it is fair to say the riding here is a zillion times better.

Edit: well the mountain bike and commuting part of riding. I don't know so much for road rides. There is public transportation here, but the idea of a "short trip" that doesn't involve a car is pretty much either goofing off in town, or riding a smeeeeely bus that goes nowhere fast. Goofing off in town can be fun though, its a nice town.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Galbraith up in bellingham is one of the best places to ride on the west coast. North shore and whistler are very close. Seattle is a great area to ride with stevens pass getting into the downhill soon. The terrain here is epic, you'll love it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.