Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a lead on a job in SLC, could be pretty promising. Went on craigslist to look at housing, will just be me, and it is shockingly cheap compared to here in the metro Atlanta are. Which is a very good thing. Wondering which of you guys live out there, and what the riding scene is like. And what kind of city in general it is to live in SLC. Thanks very much

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
If you come to SLC, there's definitely a lot available in terms of dh biking. Ogden (40 miles north) has a few places, SLC has a bunch, Park City has lift-serviced riding as does The Canyon (right next to Park City). If you drive south for 4-5 hours you will be in St. George where the Red Bull Rampage track is found as well as many other trails.

I guess to make a long story short there's a lot available in the SLC area if you end up getting the job. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Sounds good thanks for the response.

mtbozpikr - Are you located in Utah?
Yessir! I'm in Logan, which is 90 miles north of SLC, finishing up my mechanical engineering degree at Utah State University (I graduate in the beginning of May). I have a sister in SLC so am down there from time to time. I'll be in St. George in 3 weeks too.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, I will be looking into doing it hopefully by the end of the year or beginning of next. Will need someone to show me around so I will look you up if you are still out there. Got any pictures of the riding you do out there?

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I probably won't be around Utah after the beginning of May but do have some pictures from the Logan area, St. George, Moab (forgot to mention that's close too), and Park City. I'll post some probably tomorrow.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes please post some if you wouldn't mind. And don't mean to pry but why are you leaving? Just because you will be done with school out there?

·
Registered
360 Posts
The Dirt jumps are great too-
I-street is right on the North edge of the city- Killer jumps for Fullies. One of my favorite spots for jumping for sure.
DH is everywhere in SLC. Lots of shuttles 15 mins north of SLC in Bountiful. 15 mins south is some more. XC is everywhere around the cities- Everywhere you look really.
The chairlift riding isn't the best yet- but getting better all the time. Not quite Canada, but with the new addition of the Canyons running the lift- (all 250' of vertical, and 1 min runs) it's at least got some jumps now.
Deer Valley is pretty okay for trail riding DH style- but nothing to brag about-
Same for Sun Dance.
But the location for traveling is the best-
16 hours- Whistler
4.5 to Moab
6.5 to Bootleg
5 to Brian Head
4.5 to Teton Pass and Jackson
5 to Big Sky
8 to Northstar
7 to Sol vista and Winterpark.

But get ready to ride some serious hard pack with marbles!

·
Registered
599 Posts
SLC is good to bike in. I live here and there are many many trail systems to choose from. love it here and waiting anxiously for spring/summer

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Yes please post some if you wouldn't mind. And don't mean to pry but why are you leaving? Just because you will be done with school out there?
So far all of the potential positions I have are elsewhere.

·
NOT Team Sanchez
1,973 Posts
You forgot to mention the famous Bobsled trail; it makes my head spin there are so many endless natural berm high speed corners :D mtbnozpikr, thanks for the Sunline bar I bought from ya, it's going on a bike for my cousin.

Five hours away from SLC is St.George, my hometown, which I'd argue is one of the best spots in the state for riding....Gooseberry, Zion area in general, Brian Head, and St.G proper stuff too.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
You forgot to mention the famous Bobsled trail; it makes my head spin there are so many endless natural berm high speed corners :D mtbnozpikr, thanks for the Sunline bar I bought from ya, it's going on a bike for my cousin.
You're welcome. Have fun with the bars!

Here are a few pictures of what Utah's got to offer in terms of mtb to wet your appetite...

First is Fireswamp up at Deer Valley, second is Gooseberry Mesa in St. George, third is the Moab Slickrock, and the last one is the old Red Bull Rampage course in Virgin, Utah (close to St. George).

Attachments

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,005 Posts
lots of places to ride...the only problem is the alcohol....you buy it at the store and it is watered down.....so you have to buy it at the stae run ABC store...they sell it to you warm...yuck ...and you pay about 12 dollars a six pack for good beer

·
Moose Member
2,195 Posts
I hit bearclaw/poppy last time i was in St. George. That was tons of fun too. Hopefully i can get more time in St. George to hit some of this stuff...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts