Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you take a mountain bike, put hybrid or street tires on it and ride across town on sidewalks, side streets, through school and church grounds, behind buildings etc. Riding more for aerobic fitness than for doing tricks. Although hopping curbs or going off small drops on the route are part of the fun. I haven't been able to find a name for this kind of riding. Any of you guys do this kind of riding?

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
To put in a broad catagory I would call it Urban . Someone will correct me if there is a better answer .

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I would just call it riding a bike.

And if yes, when I commute to work, I'm do that kind of riding. Our club also has a weekly ride we call UORE (Urban, off road exploring) we just ride around having a good time, looking for new things, construction sites, stair gaps, loading dock drops, and things like that.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
pop_martian said:
Does it need to have a name?
Oh Yes. First, to be able to find forum discussions on the subject. And to be able to find my "Tribe" ....my people :) . Those that I identify with. It's the kind of riding that I do the most of the time. When at a party and we are discussing bicycling, most identify themselves as either a mtnbiker or a road cyclist. I don't use urban, because the connotation is a hipster who's hanging out doing tricks all day. I don't use "city" or "hybrid" because that sounds like the guys my age that leisurely stroll down the bike paths. Are there other like minded enthusiasts out there? Or is this just a one man war against typical riding classifications? Where's my tribe? :D

Really though it would be interesting just to hear the kind of riding you guys do that's "in between" mountain biking and road cycling.

·
Banned
19,198 Posts
mm9 said:
Oh Yes. First, to be able to find forum discussions on the subject. And to be able to find my "Tribe" ....my people :) . Those that I identify with. It's the kind of riding that I do the most of the time. When at a party and we are discussing bicycling, most identify themselves as either a mtnbiker or a road cyclist. I don't use urban, because the connotation is a hipster who's hanging out doing tricks all day. I don't use "city" or "hybrid" because that sounds like the guys my age that leisurely stroll down the bike paths. Are there other like minded enthusiasts out there? Or is this just a one man war against typical riding classifications? Where's my tribe? :D
They are a lost tribe , The tribe who just ride bikes .:)

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Can you just call yourself a cyclist? I stand by my first statement, just riding a bike. Only people in marketing need special words for everything.

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Well.....

mm9 said:

Really though it would be interesting just to hear the kind of riding you guys do that's "in between" mountain biking and road cycling.
When our trails get muddy, we'll ride Urban. Basically riding around and looking for man-made structures that mirror what we'd find on the trail. We keep our trail tires on our bikes or even go larger volume in some cases.

What you've described is basically how I commute. I ride to get where I'm going and hit drops and skinnies as I find them along the way.

Or, it's just riding a bike.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
OK, OK! I think I get this resistance to labels now. Bicycling has become over specialized in recent years. The segments and subsegments are many. I like this "counter" movement I see in response to all the over specialization. Recently picked up an issue of "Bicycle Times" It's tagline was "your everyday cycling adventure". My personal riding has never really fit strongly into either the road biking or mountain biking category. Sure I had short stints where I became "serious" about mtb or road cycling, but for the most part I've enjoyed and received health benefits from JRA (Just riding around - thanks last poster).

So, who does this kind of riding - what kinds of bikes and tires do you use?

For many years I had an old rigid Trek mtb (920?) and I put fat hybrid tires on it. They were as fat as normal mountain bike tires but without knobbies. Then a few years ago I put 1.5 hybrid tires on my GT aggressor, hardtail. I've worn out the wheel bearing and sprokets on that bike - not sure it's worth it to repair. So, a few months ago I decided to try a hybrid. Bought a Gary Fisher Wingra - They call it a fast city hybrid. It's a rigid and has 32c hybrid tires. Love that bike - very quick and responsive. A little concerned with how big of drops the wheels will take though.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
mm9 said:
So, who does this kind of riding - what kinds of bikes and tires do you use?
This has already been answered as well. Pretty much everyone posted here just rides their bike anywhere. We all ride what we have.

Sometimes I ride around town on my Cross Check which I have built up as a commuter, other times I ride around on my mountain bike with full knobbies. It doesn't matter. Just have fun.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i do very similar stuff and would not call it urban riding, i see urban as those people that specifically go out to find abandoned buildings or construction sites and make miniature courses out of them. Such as riding down stairs, etc. Riding up/down curbs and around parks is what i do sometimes too when i can't get to a trail. I call it riding around town in NYC

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
scottzg said:
WINNER!

Id call it 'what beginners do.'
Scott, not to get smart here, but before you started mountain biking, I rode a rigid frame early mtb (before suspension on bikes) from Breckenridge Co. to Copper Mtn. Colorado via Wheeler pass. Been riding trails and bikes since mid 1960's. Kind of out of touch with current bike technology though, that's why I'm posting here.

I think this kind of riding is cool and convenient. Because of where I live and family demands, I only get to the trails once every few weeks and this keeps me in shape in between. Plus a lot of fun.

·
mbtr member
6,499 Posts
It wasn't meant as an insult, most of the folks who are aimlessly riding around town are beginners learning the feel of the wheels.

Me, get my fill of that stuff riding to work every day 'commuting.' You can say you're 'commuting' too, and it will be like we're brothers.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts