Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
it all depends what build kit you got with what shock and everything. so you can't really say. but the brooklyn machine works are expensive. i suppose you could get a v10 or a vp free up there too. same with an intense m1. there are a lot of bikes out there, but it just depends on all the little things like carbon fiber bars or aluminum.

·
Registered
524 Posts
Karpiel has the most expensive frame ive ever seen.....and ive seen one built up to like 7500. Ive also seen an 8k XC bike.....

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
Canfield has some expensive ones, but their also pretty much custom. The F1 Mono is way up there, probably the most expensive production bike (i dont think the BMWs can be considered as production bikes). Nicolai too, but their also foreing and the real expensive ones come with Speedhubs. The Trek Diesel was pretty expensive, but i think most of them got undersold it seems.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Master_Jako said:
a nice spec Demo 9 can run into the 6500 if all the parts are brand new...BMW speced with avalanche suspension front and rear will make make you cry when its time to pay up.

QUOTE]

Dude-
This BMW is just F...ing Sick
drool..... drool.... drool..... ect
Darin

·
Why aren't you riding????
426 Posts
zedro said:
Canfield has some expensive ones, but their also pretty much custom. The F1 Mono is way up there, probably the most expensive production bike (i dont think the BMWs can be considered as production bikes). Nicolai too, but their also foreing and the real expensive ones come with Speedhubs. The Trek Diesel was pretty expensive, but i think most of them got undersold it seems.
The F1 comes in at 2300 bucks decked out. Hell that is a moderate price range compared to what alot of companies are getting for frames made overseas by machines.
Seems every co. out there thinks they have a piece of barrowed technology worth a few grand. At least with a canfield you are getting handmade and not just some production proccess called handmade. And like you said Z you get a touch of custom for that price from CB.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Master_Jako said:
a nice spec Demo 9 can run into the 6500 if all the parts are brand new...BMW speced with avalanche suspension front and rear will make make you cry when its time to pay up.

Bling Bling!!!!!
Good god! A drunk 5 year old could make something that looks better.

That bike needs to:
-lose weirdo seat
-lose wierdo fenders
-lose wierdo bars
-get paint job

·
Registered
14 Posts
offtheedge said:
The F1 comes in at 2300 bucks decked out. Hell that is a moderate price range compared to what alot of companies are getting for frames made overseas by machines.
Seems every co. out there thinks they have a piece of barrowed technology worth a few grand. At least with a canfield you are getting handmade and not just some production proccess called handmade. And like you said Z you get a touch of custom for that price from CB.
actually all F1s are being fully manufactured in taiwain, and are not handmade. Chris can make a custom handmade F1 for you here in the states for a bit over $4000

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
offtheedge said:
i was thinking more about the Fatty Fat and Signiture series, which run into the 3g range. And actually there are very few bikes that are machine TIG welded, and if they are, only in small sections (like say joining monocoque sections), and the welds are pretty much perfect.

Also this so called 'handmade' is kinda misleading, because virtually all bikes have machined or forged parts and are hand welded, weither in Taiwan or the US. The difference lies is tolerancing, design and manufacturing procedure. A factory made bike has more potential for quality than one 'hand'made in some dudes garage with limited ressources. But no matter where its made, quality comes with time and price.

Anyone see how they 'handcraft' bikes on American Choppers? its scary that no one ever touches a lathe or milling machine there....guess that chopsaw and felt tip marker give it its custom character....

·
Registered
5,261 Posts
oh, and i think these days, handmade refers to something made without jigs, a real definit plan and not completly reproducible. Personally i'd put my dime on something consistant and proven, otherwise i'll build my own:D

1 - 20 of 39 Posts