·
Elitest thrill junkie
39,553 Posts
Coil 66 series.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Speedwa said:
66 is definately the most reliable:rolleyes: .............not.
Agreed. 66rc3 is poop. Mine was warrantied after 2, maybe 3, months. The crown creaked and they had to replace everything from the lowers up. At least CS was good, albeit a little slow. Plus, their axle design sucks major cajones, and doesn't like to stay put. My vote is for fox 36, or Totem. 36 lasted me forever, and the totem...i don't really know about durability....but it felt nice for the 4 hours I rode one.

Fox, please make a 7 inch single crown.

·
Registered
706 Posts
tacubaya said:
66 series (especially the 06 and 07) are probably the most bombproof-durable-reliable forks the industry has seen.
Yep. 05 66RC or 06-07 66RC2X. I LOVE the 06' because it still says Bomber in big letters down the side. I've got 2. Never had the slightest problem with them.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
igotbanned said:
Agreed. 66rc3 is poop. Mine was warrantied after 2, maybe 3, months. The crown creaked and they had to replace everything from the lowers up. At least CS was good, albeit a little slow. Plus, their axle design sucks major cajones, and doesn't like to stay put. My vote is for fox 36, or Totem. 36 lasted me forever, and the totem...i don't really know about durability....but it felt nice for the 4 hours I rode one.

Fox, please make a 7 inch single crown.
The op asked about durability, not reliability... Saying that, any single crown won't be as durable as a triple. I know a guy who rides hard, weighs 160, and just snapped his headtube off on a drop. I also know someone who bent his steer tube. (Both 07 66 forks.) I'm about 200 and I've spent a lot of time at resorts like Whistler on a 66 and it was fine. I will say though I didn't slam into stuff as hard as when I ran a 888. The triple's are like having extra insurance that you can feel. I didn't shy away from any jump, drop, or roller compared to when I had a 66 bolted on...

Sooo, I still think the 66 wins for stiffness and durability.:thumbsup:

A Fox 7 inch single crown? I'd love to see one as long as the lowers are tougher than the 40's...

·
Now with flavor!!
5,613 Posts
Uncle Cliffy said:
I know a guy who rides hard, weighs 160, and just snapped his headtube off on a drop..
And that has what to do with the fork exactly?

Sounds like the fork was plenty strong.

·
Living Ghetto Fabulous!
3,749 Posts
kidwoo said:
And that has what to do with the fork exactly?

Sounds like the fork was plenty strong.
:skep: My post was about single crowns in general. They all have their limits... The guy in question we call "Flatlander" and this fork lasted a good 10 months. Guess what he got for crash-replacement? Yeah, a 888. A single crown has so many benefits, but a triple will be tougher most of the time. (They have limits too though, I kidded with him to make sure his crowns are tight... ;) )

·
Registered
465 Posts
Uncle Cliffy said:
The op asked about durability, not reliability... Saying that, any single crown won't be as durable as a triple. I know a guy who rides hard, weighs 160, and just snapped his headtube off on a drop. I also know someone who bent his steer tube. (Both 07 66 forks.) I'm about 200 and I've spent a lot of time at resorts like Whistler on a 66 and it was fine. I will say though I didn't slam into stuff as hard as when I ran a 888. The triple's are like having extra insurance that you can feel. I didn't shy away from any jump, drop, or roller compared to when I had a 66 bolted on...

A Fox 7 inch single crown? I'd love to see one as long as the lowers are tougher than the 40's...
In my mind, durability means that the fork in question will continue to work well for a long period of time. And by this standard, my 66 has been about as durable as....a....ummm....a...uhhhh.........wet carrot. In short, I do not like my 66rc3, and it has been completely un-durable, as it failed almost immediately.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Uncle Cliffy said:

Umm do you mean he snapped his fork steerer tube?, obviously snapping a headtube does NOT imply a fork weakness

·
Ideas Above My Station...
1,506 Posts
"I know a guy who rides hard, weighs 160, and just snapped his headtube off on a drop.."

Surely that means the Fork was stronger than the head tube!!? (pretty impressive!)

My Totem Solo Air has been faultless.

·
dontcha?
1,433 Posts
I vote Totem.. I had issues w/my '07, but it more issues with the 2-step and the seals.. which have both been fixed in '08.. never had any other problems with that fork and it felt great.. Best part is they gave me '08 solo air when i sent in my '07 2-step for a service..

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.