Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Don't skid
1,160 Posts
The Howler is a full suspension dirt jumper. That is why it only has four inches of travel. I am not sure why it is in the DH section on the Kona website except maye they expect it to be used for slalom or 4X too.
It looks pretty sweet though. I think it pivots around the BB so it can be ran sinlge speed as well. Kona seems to be at the forefront of desiging bikes for particular riding niches.

·
Registered
1,282 Posts
the Howler is a 4X/DS bike. it is in the DH bike section cause it is ment for the 4X/DS aspects of DH racing. it is basicly the same frame as the Cowan FS except that the Cowan has Gyro tabs, and on the Cowan FS the the main pivot at the BB pivots around the BB asaposed to pivoting in top, thus allowing you to go SS w/o a chain tensor (but that doesnt really matter cause ull need a tensor any way cause it has vertical drop outs)

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
Sombrio69 said:
the Howler is a 4X/DS bike. it is in the DH bike section cause it is ment for the 4X/DS aspects of DH racing. it is basicly the same frame as the Cowan FS except that the Cowan has Gyro tabs, and on the Cowan FS the the main pivot at the BB pivots around the BB asaposed to pivoting in top, thus allowing you to go SS w/o a chain tensor (but that doesnt really matter cause ull need a tensor any way cause it has vertical drop outs)
Check your facts Sombrio.
The Howler and Cowan DS are quite different. In addition to the pivot location the geometry is different.
The Cowan does NOT need a tensioner to run as a singlespeed. It has sliding dropouts to adjust the chain length.

The Cowan is shipped with an air shock and the Howler has a coil shock.

This is all on the Kona site.

·
Meh.
17,508 Posts
KONA_in_SB said:
The Howler is a full suspension dirt jumper. That is why it only has four inches of travel. I am not sure why it is in the DH section on the Kona website except maye they expect it to be used for slalom or 4X too.
It looks pretty sweet though. I think it pivots around the BB so it can be ran sinlge speed as well. Kona seems to be at the forefront of desiging bikes for particular riding niches.
You're confusing the Howler with the Cowan squishie dirtjumper. Cowan pivots around the bottom bracket, meaning no chain growth, which means no chain tensioner needed.

The Howler is a burly short travel do it all bike, aimed mainly at 4x and Dual Slalom racers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.