Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Out riding my Scalpel
249 Posts
sky84 said:
what is the disadvantage of lefty shocks? and also do i need to go to special bike shops to get different lefty shox?
I have the lefty on my Jekyll 1000 and have yet to have any troubles with it period. Just hit up a Cannondale dealer in your area, will and deal for a good price on the lefty. Look at getting a one at the end of the season. Check out EBay as well. Sometimes they have them for auction and won't cost you a arm and a leg. Lefty shocks don't come cheap.

·
Registered
109 Posts
subzero said:
I have the lefty on my Jekyll 1000 and have yet to have any troubles with it period. Just hit up a Cannondale dealer in your area, will and deal for a good price on the lefty. Look at getting a one at the end of the season. Check out EBay as well. Sometimes they have them for auction and won't cost you a arm and a leg. Lefty shocks don't come cheap.
What prevents me from going with any other manufacturer is the Lefty. It is a pain to mount onto fork mounting racks, but there are plenty of different types of racks out there. It is the best fork on the market.

·
Registered
179 Posts
sky84 said:
what is the disadvantage of lefty shocks? and also do i need to go to special bike shops to get different lefty shox?
You can't remove the front wheel without a 5 mm, you have to take off the brake caliper to get the wheel off and, once it's off, it won't fit into a QR bike holder on roof racks.

Other than that it's a great fork.

M

·
Out riding my Scalpel
249 Posts
Gungadin said:
What prevents me from going with any other manufacturer is the Lefty. It is a pain to mount onto fork mounting racks, but there are plenty of different types of racks out there. It is the best fork on the market.
Get a truck and use tie-downs. I have a truck and don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You'll have fun times trying to mount a cycle computer too.. Unless you're tricky and can mount the magnet to the brake disc, or are happy to route the wiring for a cadence model that runs off the rear wheel. All in all, a small price to pay.. figuratively speaking ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Really? You're the first person I know of who's said it's easy. Do you have a photo cause I'd love to know how you do it.

·
Poser
263 Posts
Advantages:
Extremely stiff
Light by comparison for given travel

Disadvantages:
Expensive upgrade
Newest fork technology takes a season (or so) to make it to the Lefty
Bike rack situation
Wheel removal situation

·
Registered
445 Posts
Lefty

the biggest disadvantage i have found in the last 4 years of use with the lefty is in the eyes of the guys that i ride with when i track right through a hairy section--and they don't :D

ya the rack thing is a little pain (i use fork-up lefty attachment), but it is a small price to pay--and after a while it's not that big a deal. (at least not with the avid mech's that i am using)

in fact the lefty is the only reason i don't have a new ride now. i am looking for a new ride and have almost decieded on a hammerhead------------However now that the 05's are out i am willing to wait and look at prophet so i can stay with a lefty! i have heard horror stories of people that use to ride a lefty and then left for something else only to be disapointed.

We shall see what happens----anyone want to buy my jekyll? :D

·
Huge Tracts of Land
165 Posts
I love this fork and yes the looks you get when you whoosh past your buds is great

The hassle with removing the front wheel, using an Allen key as opposed to a quick release, I take off the rear wheel know and throw the bike in the hatchback, as opposed to usually taking off the front wheel and throwing in.

At first I was puzzled as to attach a computer but again now just using the rear wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
ReflexPoint said:
Really? You're the first person I know of who's said it's easy. Do you have a photo cause I'd love to know how you do it.
On my scalpel i used a regular 25 dollar cat eye enduro. Just unbolted the round fork clamp from the sensor and taped the sensor to the brake line with electrical tape. It has worked with out a glitch all year.

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
I think the single biggest disadvantage is the lack of front hub options. Most people are stuck with Mavic wheelsets which suck IMHO. From where I stand I would much prefer to be able to build my own custom wheelset using the likes of a King hub.

To me thats the biggest and most influential reason for putting me off (For the several times I have been very close to purchasing a Scalpel!)

·
Registered
444 Posts
Trevor! said:
I think the single biggest disadvantage is the lack of front hub options. Most people are stuck with Mavic wheelsets which suck IMHO. From where I stand I would much prefer to be able to build my own custom wheelset using the likes of a King hub.
There are options for Lefty front hub:
- whatever hub comes with the bike
- Mavic
- Woodman components
You are quite fond of your King hubs Trevor, aren't you? As nice as they are there is also ton of other excellent hubs too. :rolleyes:

Disadvantages for Lefty:
- hard to ride without hands ;)
- not all shops know how to service them properly

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't believe I didn't think of that.. Thanks heaps.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Woodman

as was previously mentioned, go with a woodman hub

www.woodmancomponents.com

they are great to deal with and you can buy direct from them, and they make other c-dale stuff as well. i had mine built to a mavic 317 ust rim and i could not be happier. it is the best hub i have ever used hands down. :D

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The biggest disadvantage is hearing the same joke over and over again from yahoos on the trail..."Hey, you left half your fork behind." Or, "They forgot to install half your fork".

If you true your own wheels, you'll have to get an adapter for the lefty hub. And the bike rack thing...I ended up buying a full upright rack which I really like not having to take the tire off.

Advantages are you can change your front tire without taking the wheel off the frame. Stiff and light. Had mine for 4 years and have had zero problems.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.