Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anybody tell me the difference between those two bikes (I mean the intended use of those two). I have looked at the geometry numbers of those bikes and I can see only a little differences (although a small difference in geometry can make huge difference in ride). I don't know the weight of the Demo but I assume there won't be relevant difference. Both bikes seem to handle tons of abuse. So what are your opinions?

·
Registered
919 Posts
From what I know, the SX trail is slightly less aggressive than the Demo 7 (and obviously much less aggressive than the Demo 8/9). It's intended to still have some pedaling ability while also being able to soak up big drops/hits. Overall I believe the bike maneuvers and pedals better, making a better choice for trail-freeriding/"out-of-bounds" type riding...

·
The Other Dude
3,080 Posts
The SX Trail will pedal MUCH better than the Demo, if you are planning on pedaling to the top yourself, i would buy the SXT hands down. The demo is a great bike, and honestly when you ride it, it makes you feel like a superhero! I have owned the 7 and the 8 and they are both amazing bikes. If you are shuttling, i would say the Demo Hands down, the bike is amazing, and can be thrown around fairly easy. The bike "can" climb, but does not do it very well, not matter what you do.

Again, if you are pedaling up, hands down the SXT, it is a super amazing bike that really does it all, its lighter than the Demo, can be tossed around easy, it loves being in the air, and it it loves precise technical riding.

If bombing, big hits, and large gaps is what you are trying to tackle with ease, the demo is they way to go, the bike soaks up a lot of mistakes that us "mortals" make when trying to go big.........I mean look at what Bearclaw does on his SXT.......yeah the bike can handle more than what we can do with it for sure, but he is one heck of a rider, the demo just makes the big stuff easier.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I have ridden both quite extensively and trust me, they're totally different animals. SX Trail is a good compromise if you want one bike that can be pedalled in the woods and that can also handle freeride and even downhill. However, compromise always means that there are downsides. For this bike it is that it's a bit heavy for pedalling, and for freeride and downhill it lacks travel and slacker angles. On the other hand, Demo 7 is totally directed at freeride (and for downhill - although not fully optimized for it). If you just do lift or shuttle accessed freeride/downhill riding, get a Demo 7. You really notice the extra travel, increased burliness, and a bit slacker angles. This bike goes smoothly over the rough stuff where SX Trail struggles.

·
Registered
919 Posts
mehukatti said:
I have ridden both quite extensively and trust me, they're totally different animals. SX Trail is a good compromise if you want one bike that can be pedalled in the woods and that can also handle freeride and even downhill. However, compromise always means that there are downsides. For this bike it is that it's a bit heavy for pedalling, and for freeride and downhill it lacks travel and slacker angles. On the other hand, Demo 7 is totally directed at freeride (and for downhill - although fully optimized for it). If you just do lift or shuttle accessed freeride/downhill riding, get a Demo 7. You really notice the extra travel, increased burliness, and a bit slacker angles. This bikes goes smoothly over the rough stuff where SX Trail struggles.
This was the exact point I was attempting to make, but I couldn't articulate it... I think it was a bit too early on a Sunday morning. Nice explanation, mehukatti. I couldn't agree more.

One further note - If you REALLY think you'll be doing extensive pedaling, look at the Enduro; it's MUCH lighter, pedals like a dream, and still can handle some fairly moderate freeride stuff (though not the huge drops that the demo can). It's truly an "All Mountain" in between type bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I know that for big amount of pedalling is Enduro the most suitable but one of my friends rides 17+kg SXT and he clears every uphill you can imagine. Currently I ride SC Heckler and I wouldn't go to less burly bike. So whether you can climb on SXT or not is mostly matter of your condicion. I realized, that geometry is the most obvious thing (and obviously SXT is quite "climbable") that matters on climbs. Weight is secondary.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Fair enough. I agree. The "climbability" of the Enduro can really be attributed to it's geometry and suspension. That being said, for YOU, you just need to decide what kind of riding you'll be doing. If it's going to be you're only bike, and you think you're going to be doing a fair amount of trail riding, I think you may get frustrated after a while with a bike like the Demo or SX. If you KNOW you're pretty much just a freerider, then chose between the Demo or SX, obviously the SX being a little more diverse than the Demo.

·
Registered
54 Posts
persing said:
I know that for big amount of pedalling is Enduro the most suitable but one of my friends rides 17+kg SXT and he clears every uphill you can imagine. Currently I ride SC Heckler and I wouldn't go to less burly bike. So whether you can climb on SXT or not is mostly matter of your condicion. I realized, that geometry is the most obvious thing (and obviously SXT is quite "climbable") that matters on climbs. Weight is secondary.
Good call on the geometry being a much more important factor than weight when it comes to climbing ability. I've ridden my SXT uphill for years, and you're exactly right about it all coming down to your condition. When I first got it I could only go about 60% as far uphill as I could on my hardtail. Mine has a single chainring, though. A dual chainring setup would make the bike pretty reasonable for climbing, unless your riding buddies are all XC racers.

I've got an SXT and a Demo 8. I can be happy on either bike when I'm doing lift-assisted or hike-and-bike downhill runs, but if there is any uphill pedaling involved I always take the SXT.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Before I bought Heckler I had been riding HT Kona Blast (it had the same geometry as their XC racing bikes). It was not very good on climbs because of short chainstays (front was always lifting on steeper climbs). Then I bought Heckler. Despite it was about 2 kg heavier climbing was much easier. And with better traction on the rear it was even better.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.