Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where are 575's made, which Yeti models are made in the USA? I have a Durango made ARC and I love the quality of the Frame, I am thinking about buying a 575 but someone told me that they are made in Taiwan, is it truth or hearsay?

·
going for a ride
581 Posts
Got this off the FAQs on the yeti site
The short answer is that we manufacture in two facilities - our Colorado facility and a custom builder in Taiwan. But that's not the whole story. We are very committed to domestic manufacturing and have invested heavily over the years to equip our factory to produce the finest bicycles in the world. The production method in our Colorado facility is intentionally unhurried and precise. As such, we can only produce a limited number of frames in our facility - about 3,000 frames per year. As our products have continued to gain popularity, we have moved some production to other manufacturers. Our quality standards are very rigid so finding a qualified manufacturing facility in the USA was difficult. After trying to work domestically, we turned to a small custom frame builder in Taiwan. We have known Jeff, the owner for ten years and he has been very amenable to adopt similar techniques used in our Colorado factory. Jeff is also passionate about our rides, and has logged over 1500 miles on his 575 last year. Our engineers regularly visit the factory to ensure the frames are the highest quality possible.

These frames are then sent to us in Colorado where they go through a meticulous quality control process. Once they pass inspection, we do all the final assembly - press in the bearings and install the hardware, machined parts, and the rear shock. The manner in which we make frames takes more time, but we feel it ensures that all Yeti frames are the highest quality available.

Frames made in Colorado: 303 DH, AS-Rsl, Special Projects, and all race bikes and prototypes.

Frames made in Taiwan: ARC, AS-X, DJ, 575

·
local trails rider
12,300 Posts
I think most of the "quality frames with reasonable price tags", whatever brand, are welded in Taiwan.

If it is a matter of principle (patriotism), you will end up paying more.
If you are concerned about quality, stop worrying. A Taiwanese welder is as competent as any other welder. He (she?) just gets paid a little less than a Western one.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
perttime said:
I think most of the "quality frames with reasonable price tags", whatever brand, are welded in Taiwan.

If it is a matter of principle (patriotism), you will end up paying more.
If you are concerned about quality, stop worrying. A Taiwanese welder is as competent as any other welder. He (she?) just gets paid a little less than a Western one.
There is no quality difference between the Taiwanese welded frames and the American welded frames, as you said. Patriotism is a good thing but the truth is we all are innondated daily with foriegn surplus and the US ships to other countries our own products as well. We are living in a global ecomomy and that's just a fact of life.

People that want to show their Patriotism should show it to our troops with their support. Heaven knows they need it with all the partisan politics about the war right now.

BTW - The warranty on the frames is the same regardless of where it's welded and Yeti stands behind every product that is part of their bikes.

·
Ti is addictive
2,894 Posts
Uhmmmmmm, the welds and build quality on the 575 are top notch, even better then some of the stuff that comes out of the Durango facility........Just think of it as buying a frame and getting a free fork (cause that's the savings diff...it was made in the good ole USA)........I always get a chuckle from anti Taiwan biasness, especially by those who love their 200 dollar SRAManese deraillers and trigger's cause it's a US company.

·
In my mind, I can do it!
2,365 Posts
iviguy said:
There is no quality difference between the Taiwanese welded frames and the American welded frames, as you said. Patriotism is a good thing but the truth is we all are innondated daily with foriegn surplus and the US ships to other countries our own products as well. We are living in a global ecomomy and that's just a fact of life.

People that want to show their Patriotism should show it to our troops with their support. Heaven knows they need it with all the partisan politics about the war right now.

BTW - The warranty on the frames is the same regardless of where it's welded and Yeti stands behind every product that is part of their bikes.
Yeah, the same people probably have no problems buying Nike shoes or Nissan cars... :skep:

·
Registered
9,911 Posts
Frames welded here vary widely in quality but the very best hand-welding is done here and you will pay for it, just like any quality handbuilt US-made stuff. Some low-quality and mediocre stuff is done here too but they are easy enough to spot and those companies have earned reputations that match.

Frames sourced from Taiwan also vary in quality but the 575 is about the best I have seen so far. The welding is never a concern in the 575's case since the welds are strong and done right. There are other factors such as frame alignment that may not be checked as closely there but does get scrutinized when they show up at the Yeti factory in Golden.

So in the 575's case, don't wory about the welds. They don't simply switch to a lower-cost factory when it suits them.

·
Super Moderator
20,810 Posts
Yep.. my 575 was welded in Taiwan, assembled in Colorado, sold in Oregon, shipped from Indiana and ridden in Germany by a Costa Rican.... now that is an international bike! :) :thumbsup:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.