Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what all the bulldozing on the west end of the canyon is for? I rode up to it on the north side of the creek to find a sign saying, "Trail Work in Progress". But, it seems like a lot more than "trail work" going on...

Thanks,
Steve

·
"Ride Lots" - Eddie Mercx
1,317 Posts
I believe

swaits said:
Does anyone know what all the bulldozing on the west end of the canyon is for? I rode up to it on the north side of the creek to find a sign saying, "Trail Work in Progress". But, it seems like a lot more than "trail work" going on...

Thanks,
Steve
that they're "reconstructing" the wetlands area that is at that end of the canyon. They're allegedly going to actually put in a trail that follows the edge of the canyon thus keeping everybody out of the wetland area and allowing it to resurrect itself in the next couple of years.

Michael

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Yep, Michael nailed it. That project is called "El Cuervo Norte Riparian Rehabilitation" and will entail removing the old bean fields and grading so that the stream can "lace" its path, much like it does over along Carmel Valley Road as you head toward the beach at Torrey. When it's all done, there will be a new, wider, trail up along the base of the hill/slopes.

The project will have that area of the canyon closed for quite some time, unfortunately, and they seem to love the bright orange construction fencing...

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
EBasil said:
When it's all done, there will be a new, wider, trail up along the base of the hill/slopes.
Sounds good..

While on the topic, has anyone found any decent ways to cross Lopez Canyon (from North to South, or vice versa). I live on the north side and work on the south side. There's some "ST" (I use the term loosely here) leading down from Arbor (off of Glenstone Way) into the canyon. But from there I've found no good crossing point - at least none that don't require some amount of bushwacking - which isn't something I want to do as it's just not cool. Don't wanna piss off the deer.

Any help appreciated.. though I know not many people ride this side.

--Steve

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
EBasil said:
There's no legit way to cross from the north side of Lopez to the south side, other than to enter at the mouth of the canyon by the parking lot, then to ascend Old Lopez Road, etc...
I plan on trying to find an acceptable route. It just sucks ridding down SV Blvd. only to turn back into the canyon to go basically back up to where I started.

EBasil said:
Have you noticed the ruins of the old homestead down in there?
Nope, I'll have to explore around a bit.. Old Lopez Road eventually dead ends into the cobblestone creek bed - and, aside from my North side ("smushed grass deer trail") riding that's as far in as I've gone.

--Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts