Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
My Rekon 2.8 is great for rolling and grip on 40 mm.
No need for me to look others.
Sorry no tool so i cannot be specific. It is smaller than the Chronical 3.0 it replaced.
If you look for cush i use a padded saddle on my HT with that Rekon i have no complaint.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
The only decent 3.0s are the High Roller, Chunk, and Nobby Nic. Im not a fan of the Highroller. The Nobby Nic leaks sealant like no ones business. The Chunk is just small.
My front 3.0 Maxxis Chronicle has no issue if you ask me. 2,500 kms and still looks good. I call it more than decent. On 40 mm it works fine.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Maybe you could rephrase the original question.
What are you looking for?
I want a Minion DHF 3.0x27.5 but they don't make them.

I want a big, aggressive 27.5x2.8 or 3.0. The 3.0 HR2 has no off camber traction. I ride a lot of big alpine with off camber. The 3.0 Nobby Nic leaks stans like crazy. The 3.0 Chunk has no sidewall and is too short. I haven't tried the 3.0 Wratihchild. It looks nice but I cant get over the stud holes. I don't think there are any other aggressive 3.0s so I have to go to a 2.8.

So I want the biggest most aggressive 27.5x2.8 or are there any other options in a 3.0?

·
Premium Member
10,729 Posts
The 2.8 is pretty wide, I have one in a Scraper i45, measures out as wide as a Putgatory 3.0: 72mm casing, 70mm knobs.

I have some lightly used set of Hans Dampf 2.8, they're pretty close to 3", I'd sell em for a fair price, send me a pm.

I want a big, aggressive 27.5x2.8 or 3.0. The 3.0 HR2 has no off camber traction. I ride a lot of big alpine with off camber. The 3.0 Nobby Nic leaks stans like crazy. The 3.0 Chunk has no sidewall and is too short. I haven't tried the 3.0 Wratihchild. It looks nice but I cant get over the stud holes. I don't think there are any other aggressive 3.0s so I have to go to a 2.8.

So I want the biggest most aggressive 27.5x2.8 or are there any other options in a 3.0?

·
Registered
12,025 Posts
How about Purgs? I run them in a 3.0, decent tire IME. Good price too.

Sidewalls are a bit flimsy in the non-Grid version; might become an issue when run tubeless over time, but the Grid versions seem a lot sturdier.

·
Premium Member
10,729 Posts
Maybe width is a disadvantage, hence the plethora of less aggressive fatter tires and the great variety of narrower aggressive tires.

Just saying ...

You still riding that Mutz?

·
Registered
635 Posts
How about Purgs? I run them in a 3.0, decent tire IME. Good price too.

Sidewalls are a bit flimsy in the non-Grid version; might become an issue when run tubeless over time, but the Grid versions seem a lot sturdier.
Purgatory GRID are awesome 27.5x3.0 tires.
Highly recommended, esp to OP who mentioned rides off-camber. The Purgs are long lasting, too, and well priced at $60.

Someone mentioned Maxxis Chronicles earlier. I just changed my rear from Purg to a Chronicle. First ride in, I like the change more than I though I would. It's now much easier to break my rear (Purg really had TOO much grip) in turns, the Chronicle has more climbing traction than I though it would, and rolls well.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
Purgatory GRID are awesome 27.5x3.0 tires.
Highly recommended, esp to OP who mentioned rides off-camber. The Purgs are long lasting, too, and well priced at $60.

Someone mentioned Maxxis Chronicles earlier. I just changed my rear from Purg to a Chronicle. First ride in, I like the change more than I though I would. It's now much easier to break my rear (Purg really had TOO much grip) in turns, the Chronicle has more climbing traction than I though it would, and rolls well.
So far my front Chronicle lost traction 3 times ounce this morning on a wet board, twice on mud but it is not designed for mud and each time it gripped back soon enough. My bike came new with 3.0 Nobby Nic but i was happy on other bikes with Continental, lots of small knobs. I was lucky day 1 i traded the Nobby Nic for allmost new Chronicles.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes, Im still on the Mutz. I usually get a new bike every 2 years but I just love this bike. I still like the traction of the 3.0-4.0 tires. Our Alpine trails are gnarly and rocky with a ton of narrow off camber. I have 3 wheelsets... 4.0x26, 3.0x27.5 and 2.6x29 and I always go back to the 3.0 wheelset in the Alpine. I like the traction and cush.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.