Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just rode my new Jet and coming from the Rip, my lower back is sore. It could be the
amount of travel, but I want to raise my bar height first to see if the pain will go away.
What is the best way to do this, the pros and cons of each:

Riser bar: I really like my Niner carbon and don't want to replace it.
Riser stem
More spacers

Is there a preferred method to raise the bar height?

thanks,

·
Registered
320 Posts
Why don't you try a shorter stem in addition to doing #2 and #3 if necessary.
I don't like #2 & #3 because then I just feel too high off in front. Shorter stems give you a more upright seat, but still low when you're off the saddle.
Have your fit checked.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Bigwave101 said:
I just rode my new Jet and coming from the Rip, my lower back is sore. It could be the
amount of travel, but I want to raise my bar height first to see if the pain will go away.

Riser stem
More spacers

thanks,
What are you currently running for a stem (length, angle).

what do you have for spacers between the headset and tem and do you have any above the stem?

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
Bigwave101 said:

Riser stem
More spacers

Depends on how much higher you need/want to raise it? How far do you need to go?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am currently running a 100 stem with 0 degree rise. I was running a 90 stem and wanted to try a 100 for a better position climbing. My current spacers are approximately 3/4 of an inch. I think another 1/2 inch would help. That is the setup on my Rip.

This leads to another related question, the pros and cons of running a shorter vs longer stem. I understand a shorter stem is better for handling, especially around the tight switchbacks on a 29er, but a longer one weights the front wheel more for climbing, is this correct?

·
Registered
460 Posts
Bigwave101 said:
I am currently running a 100 stem with 0 degree rise. I was running a 90 stem and wanted to try a 100 for a better position climbing. My current spacers are approximately 3/4 of an inch. I think another 1/2 inch would help. That is the setup on my Rip.

This leads to another related question, the pros and cons of running a shorter vs longer stem. I understand a shorter stem is better for handling, especially around the tight switchbacks on a 29er, but a longer one weights the front wheel more for climbing, is this correct?
Going to a 10 degree rise stem would raise your bars 1.73 cm which is pretty close the the 1/2 inch you're looking for.

·
Always Learning
9,608 Posts
tri-tele said:
Going to a 10 degree rise stem would raise your bars 1.73 cm which is pretty close the the 1/2 inch you're looking for.
That will also pull your bars closer to you (or shorten your stem length) due to the rise. Depending on the head angle, the bars will be 6-7mm closer and 16mm higher by switching from a 100mm 0 degree to a 100mm 10 degree rise. To compensate for the loss of 6-7mm in reach (since the bars are now closer and higher), you could go a bit longer on the stem. Say 5-10mm to a 105 or 110mm stem. But, then again, that would raise the bars a bit higher so they would now be 19-21mm higher than they currently are.

You can play around with it all and compare two stems at once at this link.

You can get stems with 5, 6, 8, 10, 11, 15, 17, etc... degree rise (and even more angled than that) - so have fun with the numbers and adjust rise and length to see what the chart displays and says.

BB

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.