Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont care what the best tire is. I also dont care to hear people tell me to let air pressure out of the tire for better grip. I also dont want to hear about sticky compounds, that is not what I am looking for. I know that the two most important things with traction on rocks, roots, and ledges is tire compound and air pressure but....

I want to know what the best tread pattern is. Full knobby, semi slick, paddle, paddle knobby, XC, Trail, knob spacing, knob size? For example, where and how I ride I have noticed the following. With the tires setup the same, the Kenda Blue Groove is much better on rocks than the Nevegal as well as the Cortez. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
6,855 Posts
Yeah, it sounds like you mean rock slabs?

It makes sense the BG works becuase it has large, flat tread blocks (lots of surface area for grip on rock), where the Nev has taller, spikier knobs, which is better on soft stuff, even though they both have the same "stickee" rubber compound.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
RoundRockTJ said:
Yea thats right. Big rocks and ledges. Not loose stuff.
Broad, flat knobs are going to work better on broad, hard surfaces. Some openness/paddle design will help for scratching up/down the ledges to grab the corners of the rock. Take a look at trials tires:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.