Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best steel hardtail with front suspension you have ever road?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
That's easy, this '91 Gilmour is by far the best steel FS bike I've ever ridden. :thumbsup: Then again it's my only steel FS bike :rolleyes: I've had many aluminum FS bikes ( M2's / S-works) and this rides nicer than any of those. It handles on par with my P-23 and feels like 22 lbs:eek: I think having forks that are working perfectly has alot to do with it.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,987 Posts
kb11 said:
That's easy, this '91 Gilmour is by far the best steel FS bike I've ever ridden. :thumbsup: Then again it's my only steel FS bike :rolleyes: I've had many aluminum FS bikes ( M2's / S-works) and this rides nicer than any of those. It handles on par with my P-23 and feels like 22 lbs:eek: I think having forks that are working perfectly has alot to do with it.
I assume that in your vocabulary, FS = front suspension. ;)
 

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,650 Posts
ibike4fun said:
What is the best steel hardtail with front suspension you have ever road?
The front suspension part makes it tough.

I had a P-21 with a 98 SID that rode fantastic. Shouldn't have sold it.

I have some bikes in the pipeline that should ride well with front suspension.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
122 Posts
The best steel frame I ever rode was a white Spoogialized Rumphumper. ...which later turned out to be an early Merlin Titanium, painted so it wouldn't get stolen. Best bike I ever rode.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
197 Posts
My dekerf when it had the short fork on it. the 100 that is on it no wmakes it sluggish on technical climbs.

Still pretty partial to the way my brodie rides, I am considering putting my race stem back onto it (syncros 5 degree rise 140 length) and riding it on trails instead of as my beater.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
kb11 said:
That's easy, this '91 Gilmour is by far the best steel FS bike I've ever ridden. :thumbsup: Then again it's my only steel FS bike :rolleyes: I've had many aluminum FS bikes ( M2's / S-works) and this rides nicer than any of those. It handles on par with my P-23 and feels like 22 lbs:eek: I think having forks that are working perfectly has alot to do with it.

FS? I dont see no rear shock on that? ;) You probably like this one Ken because it was originally made for a girl! Ha! ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
115 Posts
Steel huh?

Brodie or Rocky Mountain

I love the way these bikes ride. The longer TT makes them very stable at high speed, yet they are nimble through the tight single track. Take off the FS and put a rigid fork and it's bliss. And they're Canadian;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
FS? I dont see no rear shock on that? ;) You probably like this one Ken because it was originally made for a girl! Ha! ;)
No such thing in my vintage vocabulary as full suspension :rolleyes: Your right Fillet-brazed, its all about how well she.......... fits :eekster:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
kb11 said:
No such thing in my vintage vocabulary as full suspension :rolleyes: Your right Fillet-brazed, its all about how well she.......... fits :eekster:
I would definitely have to say my WTB Phoenix hands down. Just magic on fast technical singletrack.

version 1.0



version 1.1



version 1.2 to come :).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,213 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
I would definitely have to say my WTB Phoenix hands down. Just magic on fast technical singletrack.

I expect version 1.2 to have dirtdrops ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,696 Posts
kb11 said:
Fillet-brazed said:
I would definitely have to say my WTB Phoenix hands down. Just magic on fast technical singletrack.

I expect version 1.2 to have dirtdrops ;)
Nope. I just cant mess with the cockpit arrangement on this one. Its too perfect.

I do want to find another though and build with a rigid Type II and drop bars. Someday.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
84 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
kb11 said:
Nope. I just cant mess with the cockpit arrangement on this one. Its too perfect.
S'funny, I was just about to PM you about that cockpit setup. What bars are you using and what are the dimensions of that stem. They look "just right" - in a modern-kit-on-a-classic-frame sort of way.

Cheers
Gary
 

·
Shamisen Appreciator
Joined
·
2,093 Posts
WTB Phoenix for sure. My old Bridgestone MB-2 would be second.
 

·
Witty McWitterson
Joined
·
5,023 Posts
1998 WTB Pheonix for sure. ssmike should know how good it rides now. At least in 26" wheels. For 29", its by far the haro mary. which oddly enough is based off of a Pheonix. :thumbsup: Both are simply telepathic. If I jump onto the custom bandwagon again, the new one will mirror the Haro.
 

Attachments

·
VRC Illuminati
Joined
·
17,650 Posts
~martini~ said:
1998 WTB Pheonix for sure. ssmike should know how good it rides now. At least in 26" wheels. For 29", its by far the haro mary. which oddly enough is based off of a Pheonix. :thumbsup: Both are simply telepathic. If I jump onto the custom bandwagon again, the new one will mirror the Haro.
I think MikeSS knows some people who work at Haro...so it seems only fitting. :)
 
1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Top