Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Verewolf said:
Depends on a couple of things.
Do you live in a high, medium or low crime area?
And how much do you want to spend?

I definitely do not like cable locks.
I guess in a medium to high crime area. And I'm looking for a good to excellent way to secure my bike. I was looking at the U-locks ..are those really good? What do you suggest?

·
Never worng!
622 Posts
bobjoe275 said:
I guess in a medium to high crime area. And I'm looking for a good to excellent way to secure my bike. I was looking at the U-locks ..are those really good? What do you suggest?
The U-locks are a good choice for high crime areas.
I'm partial to Kryptonite locks. They make a strong U-lock.
They have information on their website about their other locks and how to use them.
http://www.kryptonitelock.com/[email protected]?tn=products_how_to.tem#BICYCLES
Another tip about locking your bike is always lock your bike close to a more expensive bike.
As funny as it sounds the thief will more than likely try to steal the more expensive bike.

·
Registered
553 Posts
master lock makes a chain lock called the tuff links i think its msrp $30 it weighs like 4 pounds chain covered with nylon it looks mean and tough. If i stole bikes and i saw a $150 bike locked with it i wouldn't bother. The chain lock will be easier to find a locking spot than a U lock.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I worked with a lady who lost multiple bikes while she was living in a college town in Oregon. She like quality bikes but tired (understandably) of purchasing rides for people she didn't know. So she bought a brand new shiny red stumpy, paid $5.00 for a can of gray enamal paint and a paint brush and applied a fresh coat of paint to the entire frame (before she even took it on her first ride!). It looked like Sh**! Three years later she was still riding the same investment. (I love my blur, but I don't think I'd have the disclipline to go to this extreme.)

Anyhow, my meager $0.02.

Wouldn't Lo-Jack or a tazer security system for bikes be cool?

·
Hoopy Frood
255 Posts
Locking up your bike

Some good information and pictures posted over at the roadbikereview site:

How to steal one bike or lots of bikes

I use a combination U-Lock and cable to lock up my bike when I have to leave it out of my sight. However, I would never leave it for more than 5-10 minutes even with the lock since I know a determined or skilled thief could take it anyway.

·
I live to bike
2,451 Posts
2 locks

bobjoe275 said:
What is the best lock to buy for a $150 bike? I've had my bike stolen just last week on a cable BELL lock and I was wondering what I could use to stop that from happening again!
Use two locks. One cable, one u lock. Or a heavy duty, hardened chain with padlock is another good one. By using two locks, it will further deter theives--most only carry equipment to break one kind of lock. even if they have the tools with them, two locks means it will take longer, so they will probably skip it.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I heard from some friends that a cable lock is really easy to destroy. You just pour some (not going to say what) into the lock and then hit it with something and it'll break.

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I'm guessing you were going say something like liquid nitrogen. That's a special fx movie trick. You'll need more of it than you're likely to just carry around with you and it's not like you can pick it up at the local supermarket. Besides what kind of thief will go to that much trouble for a $150 bike?

·
It's about showing up.
12,738 Posts
I imagine we use bikes differently

I never let mine out of my sight even if it is locked. My LBS just shakes their heads a lock: if you lock it and walk away and forget it you can forget your bike. It will happen. all loocks are sold with instructions not to leave them long. Ever.
If you need a bike for crusing or at school get a beater and keep it tuned.

·
Registered
140 Posts
fred3 said:
I'm guessing you were going say something like liquid nitrogen. That's a special fx movie trick. You'll need more of it than you're likely to just carry around with you and it's not like you can pick it up at the local supermarket. Besides what kind of thief will go to that much trouble for a $150 bike?
Nope... something that is very common.

·
Registered
14 Posts
A question and a comment

first - the question... if you use a reputable lock and use it properly - will the lock company truly reimburse you or are you likely to have difficulty? (thinking about the kryptonite new york lock with the $3000 guarantee)

now the comment - I have seen many bike parts on sale by homeless and such on the city streets - mostly wheels and seats that I am sure were left unsecured. Bear in mind - this type of thief doesn't know the difference between your $150 department store bike or a $1500 one - but he is also defeated by the simplest of locks. The knowledgeable thief isn't going to waste his time with your department store bike because he can't get any real money out of it.

So - for a cheaper bike, I would recommend a cable and decent u-lock - the ulock for the frame to the stationary object, and the cable through both wheels and the seat rails. This will stop the "stealing for food" and "stealing for a quick joy ride" crowd.

my 2cents.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If they want it bad enough...

While I agree that with that cheap a bike, you shouldn't have a problem, I lost 4 (count 'em, 4) bikes during my time at MSU, all up and down the price spectrum, even including a $49 grocery store special.

While I agree that both a U-lock and cable or chain lock will probably be the epitome of protection for your bike, I just have to say that if you've got something that even looks relatively nice, and the thief wants it bad enough, they'll find a way to get it.

For the record, I was told by the campus police that they use car jacks for U-locks and just break them.

And nViATi, does that stuff start with "Fr"? I know french bread can be hard, but I'd never though it could break a lock. Thank God for good dental work, huh?

·
Registered
288 Posts
Sheldon Brown has a good explanation on how to lock a bike.
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html
You want to get the smallest U-lock you can get around your tire inside the rear triangle and the bike rack (or other stationary object). There are some good U-locks available around $30 like the Onguard Bulldog Mini. Then you probably also want to secure your front tire and seat with a decent cable. You can use the U-lock to lock the cable or use a separate lock to make things more difficult for a thief (but also heavier and complicated for you).
Decorating with primer and duct tape also decreases the chances someone will decide to take the effort to defeat your locks.
As has been mentioned all locks are defeatable but a good lock used correctly is difficult enough to defeat that few people will bother especially if the target looks like a beater in the first place.
Keeping a bike in sight is often not possible for most utility riders. For most students I'm sure this is not an option.
Craig

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.