Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best fork to roll on for AM riding? right now i have a fox float r 140mm but want more travel... i have been pondering a Rock shox revelation 150mm with a thru axle or a Lyric 115-160mm. i like jumping and ride aggressive AM and do urban freeride haha. i want more travel and more stiffness from the thru axles. is it worth the weight change to go to a Lyric to get the travel or would i be better off with the revelation even though it is only 10 more mm then what i got at 150mm and get the thru axle for stiffness and keep the weight low?? open to suggestions.... thanks!

·
Go back to school
648 Posts

·
wuss
2,380 Posts
I've been through quite a few forks. Lately light trail forks seem to have progressed quite a bit from length / weight / stiffness point of view.

I prefer a Revelation over a Fox 32. The dual air design is great and can be tuned just like you want. You get to use all your travel and it's smooth on the small stuff, very stiff.

Fox 36 on the other hand is very nice if you want something beefier.

Currently I'm running a 36 Van RC2, very nice fork.

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have heard bad things about marzocchi's air forks.... but i have never had anything happen while riding one. i forgot that i am also looking at an 09 Fox 36 Talas. its a little cheaper then the RC2 Fit

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
i've had 3 fox floats, 1 fox van, 2 marz z1, 1 pike, 1 totem, 2 domains, 1 pike and 1 rev. i like them all in different ways.

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
wow that helps haha... would u reccomend the new 2010 revelation 150mm thru axle for the type of riding i do or would u say i need something beefier

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
illwill88 said:
wow that helps haha... would u reccomend the new 2010 revelation 150mm thru axle for the type of riding i do or would u say i need something beefier
it depends where your preferences are. if you want the pound and a half savings then yes, if you don't care, then i'd go lyrik or 36. i personally just switched from a 2009 fox float 140 to a 2010 rev 150 but i would definitely take a float or lyrik for the right price for the frame i just got (150mm) i love the rev so far, but i haven't had any trail time on it.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Do you realize the need for additional stiffness or travel, or are you just going to create a "whats the best XXXXXX to roll on" thread for every component on your bike?

If you actually have realized a need for something else, tell us why, in what situations, and how you ride. Have you used all your travel? Are you blowing through it? Is the fork even set up for the way you ride? Do you know how to set it up? (not commenting on you, many people dont know how to set stuff up for different needs)

The long and short of this: You are riding on a very well spec'd 140mm fork, on a bike designed for trail use. In all reality, the bike you have is VERY nice for its intended purpose. Are you actually planning on riding it in its intended purpose, or are you wanting to change it to fit another purpose?
If "Urban Freeride" is your intention I would suggest you spend the $1k it will cost for "the best fork" and use that money to buy a good used bike better suited to your application, and keep the GT set up for its intended application.

If it is just a thread making ploy, then I would say a 36 Talas. I like mine. But I would buy a Lyrik in a heart beat too. Or a Pike. Or a Rev 150 with the maxle lite. Or....

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
el_chupo_ said:
Do you realize the need for additional stiffness or travel, or are you just going to create a "whats the best XXXXXX to roll on" thread for every component on your bike?

If you actually have realized a need for something else, tell us why, in what situations, and how you ride. Have you used all your travel? Are you blowing through it? Is the fork even set up for the way you ride? Do you know how to set it up? (not commenting on you, many people dont know how to set stuff up for different needs)

The long and short of this: You are riding on a very well spec'd 140mm fork, on a bike designed for trail use. In all reality, the bike you have is VERY nice for its intended purpose. Are you actually planning on riding it in its intended purpose, or are you wanting to change it to fit another purpose?
If "Urban Freeride" is your intention I would suggest you spend the $1k it will cost for "the best fork" and use that money to buy a good used bike better suited to your application, and keep the GT set up for its intended application.

If it is just a thread making ploy, then I would say a 36 Talas. I like mine. But I would buy a Lyrik in a heart beat too. Or a Pike. Or a Rev 150 with the maxle lite. Or....
fair enough... i ride very aggressive and when i say i do a lot of urban downhill i mean that me and my buddies will go downtown and find drops and jumps and gaps and stairs to play on..... i guess u could say i dont know how to set my fork up as the LBS did it for me.... i use all my travel all the time... (it might even be too plush) i do plan on riding in its intended purpose but i also as i said i do a ton of jumps and stuff like that....i feel the QR is not as solid as when i ride my friends bomber 66. no this isnt just a thread ploy haha. i know why u say that cause i titled it the exact same as the pedals one.... and i did buy pedals so i am wanting to buy a new fork.... i also like the 09 talas cause i can adjust travel for when say im jumping (160) or trail ridind (140) or climbing (whatever the next length is... not sure) but anyways i also want to keep the weight descently low.... i gotta get it ontop of a lifted 4runner he he..... would the Revelation 150mm with maxle light be what i am looking for? and i coould drop weight as well.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
What kind of drops are we talking? 3-4ft to flat, 6ft to transition? 6 ft to flat, 12 ft to transition?

If you are doing drops to flat you have the wrong bike, and a fork wont fix your problem. You will ruin your bike if you are really getting into street riding. I am not saying the bike wont take it for some time (depending on your smoothness) but there is a lot of stress on the bike that it is not designed to handle.
For OCCASIONAL use, the Rev 150 or a Pike would be fine. You will want to do more than adjust travel - learn to set the fork up for each situation. You should not be blowing through your travel except on drops(even then, really) otherwise stiffen it up.

Spending a few bucks would best suit your current needs, such as this:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI284R01-Eastern+Thunderbird+Bike+09.aspx
or this
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2008-KHS-DJ...ewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item3efc1b6ca4
http://cgi.ebay.com/Iron-Horse-Yaku...ewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item518f236c12

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Also remember that a 66 is a beefier fork, not just in travel or axle, but in overall construction. You wont get that feel without going to a bigger fork.

For AM use on that bike, the Rev 150/Talas 150 would be my choice.

·
biking is fun
2,365 Posts
just got a 2 2010 revelation teams. one QR and one 20mm. Sadly there is 3 or so feet of snow on the local trails.

the bikes we are getting have 130mm of travel so i ended up selling the talas 36 to have a fork that is more along the lines of what the rest of the frame was designed around. plus having the 120-150mm of travel adjust is awesome cause you can set it anywhere inbetween for different trails.

·
GAME ON!
4,965 Posts
keep in mind that the 2010 rev is a very tiny looking fork. the reason it weighs so little is that the lowers are miniscule compared to a fox. mine looks very fragile and i may regret replacing my fox.

·
Think u gon get me? MF!
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
el_chupo_ said:
What kind of drops are we talking? 3-4ft to flat, 6ft to transition? 6 ft to flat, 12 ft to transition?

If you are doing drops to flat you have the wrong bike, and a fork wont fix your problem. You will ruin your bike if you are really getting into street riding. I am not saying the bike wont take it for some time (depending on your smoothness) but there is a lot of stress on the bike that it is not designed to handle.
For OCCASIONAL use, the Rev 150 or a Pike would be fine. You will want to do more than adjust travel - learn to set the fork up for each situation. You should not be blowing through your travel except on drops(even then, really) otherwise stiffen it up.

Spending a few bucks would best suit your current needs, such as this:
http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BI284R01-Eastern+Thunderbird+Bike+09.aspx
or this
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2008-KHS-DJ...ewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item3efc1b6ca4
http://cgi.ebay.com/Iron-Horse-Yaku...ewItemQQptZMountain_Bikes?hash=item518f236c12
oh no definitly not that into street..... i just want something bigger and stifffer so that i can have more confidince on jumps and drops but i dont want to gain a bunch of weight.... and i guess i would need to get my fork set up right cause i can stand on my bike and pump it through to the bottom basically.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.