Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there seem to be some many on the market.

I want something about 2 litres and non bulky. It for use on 2hr rides etc.

I was looking at the classic. Is this a good one go get?

Thanks

·
Derailleurless
9,122 Posts
My favorite is the Deuter Race X Air. After using both the MULE and the Blowfish for a few years apiece, it's refreshing having this particular Deuter design suspend the pack off my torso, severely reducing my back sweat.

If you're looking for only 2L of water capacity and no extra storage for gear, this pack is likely more than what you need. In that respect, just about any 2L/70 oz. pack will do the trick.

Just beware that if you do try to stuff a windbreaker or vest and sleeves into some of these small capacity packs, they tend to turn into "logs" strapped to your back.

·
bang
1,290 Posts
KleinAttitude said:

Thanks
i use the camelbak rogue. 70oz (2 liters) capacity, and enough space to store a spare tube, patch kit, multitool, mini-pump and gel / energy bars.

·
Registered
24,083 Posts
I have a 2 litre/70 oz DAKINE Glacier that works real well. Was the only thing I could find on my island, but it really works very well. There's no real "extra storage" space, but in reality the pack itself can hold the resevoir and a mini-pump, GU, some snack bars. I'm looking for a new Hydration System and am looking towards the Camelback M.U.L.E or L.O.B.O, the lobo is 2 litres/70oz and a little less storage whereas the mule is 3 litres/100oz and more storage - think I'm gona go w/ the MULE to use on those longer rides when I maybe want a change of clothes (shorts & T-shirt) and some food and lots of water. Would have prob got the LOBO if available when I was looking - nice to have some extra storage and not have to have a sadle bag aswell.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I use a HAWG. I can carry a small village complete with pets. May be overkill for you.

·
Registered
804 Posts
like everything else, it depends

How much crap do you want to bring along?

The amount of equipment and clothing varies depending on season and duration.

H2O: For a short ride, 70oz is plenty, and for a long ride, 100oz isn't enough.

If you only have one pack, I'd recommend getting a big one. It will be more versatile.

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
All depends on how much you drink too. My camelbak is only 70oz and my friends is 100oz and he always runs out before I do.
I use a CamelBak lobo too. Seems perfect for the rides I do. I removed that belly strap though (talk about a "feature" that made me feel my gut is bigger then it is) :(

·
Banned
7,131 Posts
I use the camelback rim runner, it is almost the same size as the transalp, but costs less and is great for my XC rides.

·
Get your freak on!
2,696 Posts
KleinAttitude said:
The mule might be a bit too big for me. I was looking at a Source Spinner maybe.

Heres a link to one Source Spinner or a

Camelback Classic
I hear good things about the source bags..

I know they make the Deuter bladders:)

i personally have an Old deuter, A camelbak Rouge and a Camelbak blowfish. The deter is not used for actual rides anymore as the baldder started leaking and I decided to replace the whole pack with a rouge(the deuter is still awesome.. my next bag will probably be a deuter).

The Rouge I use about 70% of the time.. i find it to be quite good. I can carry a mobile, clif shot, clif bar, a tube, CO2 and 2litres fo water easily in it.

The Blowfish is not used very much now that i have the rouge. The blowfish is used when I have to take extra clothing or whenever I go night riding(extra clothing and battery...).

Sounds like you should stick with a pack around 2litres:)

·
Bad Case of the Mondays
4,009 Posts
KleinAttitude said:

Thanks
I have two Rogues (70oz), a Mule (100oz) and a HAWG.

For 95% of my rides I use the Mule. If I don't want the extra weight, I just don't fill the bladder completely full, but nice to have the extra water when it gets hot in the summer. Use the HAWG mainly for long hikes and commuting, but would also use it for a long epic ride when you are packing lunch and more supplies.

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
Speedub.Nate said:
My favorite is the Deuter Race X Air. After using both the MULE and the Blowfish for a few years apiece, it's refreshing having this particular Deuter design suspend the pack off my torso, severely reducing my back sweat.

If you're looking for only 2L of water capacity and no extra storage for gear, this pack is likely more than what you need. In that respect, just about any 2L/70 oz. pack will do the trick.

Just beware that if you do try to stuff a windbreaker or vest and sleeves into some of these small capacity packs, they tend to turn into "logs" strapped to your back.
I've got a HydraPak AirScoop (1.5L) and CB MULE (3.0L). Each has it's own pros and cons.

I like the AirScoop for shorter (~2-hr) rides where minimal clothing and tools are required. The AirScoop has a nice, stretchable pack, which, despite it's size, isn't all that bad. I can get a spare tube, levers, patch kit, multi-tool, battery pack, Crank Bros mini-pump, Li-Ion battery pack, etc. But, it's really meant for shorter summer rides where you won't have much in the way of extras.

The MULE is nice for longer rides (3+ hours). When I looked at the MULE at the LBS (with empty bladder) I thought it had more than enough cargo space. But, once you fill that 3.0L bladder, space is at a premium. As Speedub.Nate indicated, once the pack is full with bladder, tools, etc. the pack really "log rolls" on your back.....not good.

Neither back is what I like for really long (6+ hour) rides. Especially, during the Fall/Winter/Spring months where you are typically packing a lot of extra clothing (knickers, arm warmers, jackets, etc.). For this, I'm going to look into the Deuter line of packs. I particularly like the "Air Comfort" system, which keeps the pack off your back.

Take a look at the amount of water you need, tools you'll carry and any extras (clothing, batteries, food, etc.) that you'll bring along. Then, get the pack that carries this, plus, a little more for the inevitable.

·
The Duuude, man...
3,537 Posts
related: whats the best ultra-slim racer-only type water system?

I always race with water bottles only, but my new frame sucks arse with respect to water bottle placement and capacity (only 1 bottle, and it's a severe pain to get to, only holds a small bottle as well)...

·
(aka SS_MB-7)
924 Posts
ncj01 said:
related: whats the best ultra-slim racer-only type water system?
For this application, I went with the HydraPak AirScoop (now re-named AS Race, for '05). It's a nice, small, light-weight hydration pack, without all the extras and bells-n-whistles of other packs, that holds 1.5L of fluid (good enough for shorter rides and races), but you can still pack a few tools, spare tube, pump, etc. inside the stretchy lycra cover.

·
Fermented Grain Sampler
clinking clanking clattering collection of collagenous junk
4,166 Posts
Mule for years now. Holds what I need. Sometimes its a little too big but I don't like to idea of trading tools and supplies back and forth between bag or saddle bags.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.