Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It is a Pugsley. Built this up for my wife as a Christmas gift but I'll be riding it a bit Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle frame Tire Wheel
. Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Automotive tire Bicycle part
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim

Build Specs:

16" Frame with 100mm Surly Fork
X9 Grip Shifters
X0 Rear Der.
XT Front Der.
FSA DH ISIS BB
Truvativ Blaze Cranks w/ bash
Red Wellgo MG1 Pedals
FSA Bar and Stem
Race Face Post
Terry Butterfly Saddle
Red Salsa Flip Lock
Rear BB7 160mm Brake
120 TPI Endomorphs
Vicious 80mm Rims drilled (150g savings per rim)
DT Revolution Spokes
Red Hope Hubs
Red Hope QR Skewers
Homemade Pogies

Weight w/o pogies 31.3 lbs

Happy Holidays!

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I first ran a strip of red electrical tape and then followed that with a strip of black on either side. Then, I used the Rox 50mm silk rim tape over all of that. There's quite a bit of material between the tube and rim.

The tube is most definetly pushing all of that up through the holes but I'm not too concerned about it. I will keep an eye on it.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
DIY drilling of the rims

I had someone asking me if I drilled the rims out and the answer is yes. I had never drilled rims before nor had I thought I would do it myself. After talking with JayP I decided I could handle it. I drilled them prior to building them up, but I don't see any reason why you couldn't drill a pre built wheel. Here are the steps I took which were pretty straight forward.

The holes are 1 1/4" in diameter using a bi-metal hole saw. I centered the holes regardless if center drilled or offset. I did pre drill each hole before using the hole saw. I let the weight of the drill do the work with no downward force of my own. I did use a drimel and sand paper to clean the edges up. My shop manager believes that the heat created from drilling caused some warping of the rim. It's hard to say how much or how it will affect the rim in the long run. I'm not too worried about it as it is a snow bike not a mtn bike. It doesn't seem to be stopping Speedway Cycles or others from doing it so why not do it.

EDIT: I would like to note that I did not drill holes on either side closest to the seam of the rim. Being that it is pinned and not welded I wasn't interested in taking any risks of hitting a pin or weakening the structural integrity.

If you would like further details just ask and I will answer as best I can.

·
Registered
306 Posts
it seems like drilling the rim after the wheel was built would be a not-the-greatest-idea. wouldn't the tension pinch the bit after that part of the rim was relatively weaker than the rest of the rim? if not, then I don't see a problem that a truing session would fix.
sweet build btw!

·
Registered
129 Posts
aljee said:
it seems like drilling the rim after the wheel was built would be a not-the-greatest-idea. wouldn't the tension pinch the bit after that part of the rim was relatively weaker than the rest of the rim? if not, then I don't see a problem that a truing session would fix.
sweet build btw!
I've done built and not built and neither were a problem but the non-built was easier.

I used a nice new bit that cut quickly so I had no problems with overheating the rim. Soft metal = high drill speed. If you use a low RPM and a dull bit you can definitely expect some overheating and non-clean cuts that need to be sanded.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks buddy. Long time no see.

We are having a blast on the snow bikes. It helps that I can take the rentals out whenever so we can ride together.

Hope all is well down your way. Come up for a visit some time or even to the race in March.

·
Tame the Penguin!
1,082 Posts
mtn_man2 said:
Thanks buddy. Long time no see.

We are having a blast on the snow bikes. It helps that I can take the rentals out whenever so we can ride together.

Hope all is well down your way. Come up for a visit some time or even to the race in March.
Lots has changed on my end.....I'm no longer a corporate whore but a full-time self employed entrepeneur. I'll have to call and tell you all about it.

:thumbsup:

We are selling our Pugs so we can build up a few Fatbacks. We are headed out to ride now as we might not be on the snow for a few weeks during snow bike transitions.

--El Snow Beastro

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.