Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to figure out, what exactly I need to make the Cannondale Hollowgram SL 2x9 cranks, which use the BB30, to fit on my bike that has a 68mm English thread? The bike in question is a Ibis Mojo SL. Not sure if the BB is carbon fiber, or if it has an insert. Don't know if it makes a difference, I know it makes a difference going the other way!!!

Everything I've read is to use an adapter to make a BB30 usable for a 68mm thread cranks, well, I'm going in reverse!!!:madman:

Do I need a special spindle? Does anyone have a recommended course of action? Options?

Thanks again,

Kevin

·
Super Moderator
6,803 Posts
German company THM Carbones makes a 68mm BB cup set to allow standard Hollowgram SL BB30 crankset to work. Starbike (Weight Weenies site) sells them for about 140 Euros/set.

I also think Zipp Vuma Quad BB will also work too...

·
Banned
5,770 Posts
Zachariah said:
German company THM Carbones makes a 68mm BB cup set to allow standard Hollowgram SL BB30 crankset to work. Starbike (Weight Weenies site) sells them for about 140 Euros/set.

I also think Zipp Vuma Quad BB will also work too...
Correct - the Vumas BB what he needs BUT i remember there are severe modifications needed on the spindle to make it fit. I recall a thread where a guy did that and he showed in detail all the needed modifications to the spindle. I'm not sure if it was in here or in a german WW-forum though.

Vumaquad cranks also have that masive 30mm axle and the BB therefore also has this inner diameter.

Attachments

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Zachariah. I looked at the Zip and THM sites, as well as others, and it seems to be allot of trouble, and there doesn't seem to be anyone, who specifically makes the BB cup for this specific purpose. My first choice was to purchase the Cannondale Hollowgram SL 2x9 cranks, and use them on my current build, but, I do have a second choice, that is made for my 68mm bb. I almost ordered them from my LBS, glad I didn't!!! Very disappointed!!

Thanks again for your recommendations,

Kevin

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Nino, it really seems like too much trouble. I will consider the Rotor 3d and KCNC cranks once again. Between those two, which would you choose? I'm willing to sacrifice a little additional weight for additional stiffness on the crank. Will be going 2x9 for sure!!!, on a 68mm English thread bb.

Thanks for all your help in the other threads as well. I really appreciate your recommendations!

kevin

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
eliflap said:
problems to fit ?? no problems if you buy this spindle

no lip on left side , so you can install proper spacers
Hi eliflap. What company makes this spindle ? How difficult is it to install, and is it permanent, or can I remove it, if I want to install a 68mm BB at a later date for a different crankset? Also, what kind of spacer are you using? It looks white in color, maybe custom?

Thanks again,

Kevin

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,875 Posts
spindle is not white ..it's silver .. you can find it in a german web shop

dr.cannondale.de

not permanent , only 2 cups to install with a tool supplied, easy installation , only to be fine tuned with correct shims to your preferred chain line or to avoid chainstays interferences

spacer , cups + tool , bearings , shims and spacers are all included in 179 euro of kit cost

·
Registered
51 Posts
eliflap said:
spindle is not white ..it's silver .. you can find it in a german web shop

dr.cannondale.de

not permanent , only 2 cups to install with a tool supplied, easy installation , only to be fine tuned with correct shims to your preferred chain line or to avoid chainstays interferences

spacer , cups + tool , bearings , shims and spacers are all included in 179 euro of kit cost
Is this the item you are referring to? : http://www.cannondale-parts.de/epages/61764971.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61764971/Products/KP094

·
KevinK
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
This is starting to get Expensive! w/ this modification, the cost of using the Hollowgram SL 2x9 cranks is nearing $1k USD, and probably more w/ shipping costs! May have to re-think this through. Other options will save me allot of money.

Thanks again for your help everyone. My German is Extremely rusty, but, I was able to understand, for the most part. It didn't specifically say it was for 68mm though, but did say 132mm.

Thanks again!!! You guys are AWESOME!!!

Kevin

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,875 Posts
KevinK said:
This is starting to get Expensive! w/ this modification, the cost of using the Hollowgram SL 2x9 cranks is nearing $1k USD, and probably more w/ shipping costs! May have to re-think this through. Other options will save me allot of money.

Thanks again for your help everyone. My German is Extremely rusty, but, I was able to understand, for the most part. It didn't specifically say it was for 68mm though, but did say 132mm.

Thanks again!!! You guys are AWESOME!!!

Kevin
that site has a Union Jack to click to have english language :p

do like me , use a Carbon SI to save lot of money

buy a kit , use cups , bearings and shims and re-sell on ebay the spindle or keep it for future project ...

tips & tricks :thumbsup:

·
FIRENZE rulez !!
3,875 Posts
barrows said:
is the resulting Q factor with this adapter kit? It uses a new BB spindle, so it must be a different length (I assume longer) than the OE Cannondale spindle for dedicated BB 30 frames.
spindle is 132 mm as stock Cannondale one

it's lighter, without lip , about 10 g , and probably not same alloy

however in my 2 builds, i not used it, i used a SI carbon crank

it has a spindle attacched to right arm and spider , other arm must be tight on it ... so to answer to barrows, no better Q factor , but never worse

and this BB30 , with bearings outside frame is , my thinking , a bit stiffer than Cannondale

10 mm increased distance between bearings , similar to Specialized Epic 2010 , that has a BBshell of 83 mm ( new "standard" but with BB30 bearings too ) instead 68 or 73 mm

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.