Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I have ever had this and I don't want to.

I hope to do some long rides day in and day oput this year so I need to know.

So my questions are (Don't be shy):

Is it a dry chafe?

Is it a wet chafe?

If wet where does the moisture come from? Is it sweat running down your back, is it bum sweat, is it bum drool?

I heard that Preparation H is good for it is it? (This opens up a whole line of questions.)

How do you cure it? How long to cure it?

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
I've always heard monkey butt as the chamois or just plain bike shorts. They make your butt look swollen by wearing them. Nothing to do with chafing from when I''ve heard it used.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh so Monkey Butt is the solution to what problem.

I was watching the TransRockies DVD;

Day 3 there is this guy putting cream on his Butt (why exactly of what for).

Day 7 there is this guy going to breakfast and he says woke-up this morning and my Butt was red, (from what exactly)?

·
Old school BMXer
2,695 Posts
I wasn't able to access the link to the description, but basically, it's chafing on the bunghole from either wet or dry conditions. It's something common for desert motorcycle racers and endurance jet ski (the sit down type) racers. Lubrication is the key to prevent this. The challenge for the jet ski racers is that most conventional lubes wash off with water, so you have to use a lot of Vaseline. Not that I know anything about this.

Chamois butter is available in finer bicycle stores and works well for dry conditions. In a pinch, Vaseline lip balm also works. When you're riding centuries, you gotta do what you gotta do. Otherwise even the softest paper will feel like 50 grit.

·
Registered
12,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, I have gone 100+km hot without a problem, and nine hours plus on some trails.

I plan to do this for up to a week this summer.

If you use these products without the soreness do they prevent the sore or just ease the sore after it has occurred.

What is recommended.

·
Double-metric mtb man
4,482 Posts
Doing long distance for prolonged periods can cause chafing and irritation of your seat and the area between the large muscles (glutes).

The products like Bag Balm, chamois butter, Butt paste etc are intended to help prevent the problem in the first place and reduce the symptoms if you get irritation.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.