Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Rippin da fAt
9,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As the title says! Let's hear the reason that SS is a genre that you enjoy. All aspects of SS up for mention are welcome.

For myself, it really gets down to rider participation in so much more than just sailing down a trail. Having to plan forward and anticipate features with speed or momentum to keep it rolling along.

Sure, the bike itself is simplified but that lays the deed directly on the pilot! Doesn't get better than that.

·
Cycologist
9,125 Posts
Somehow standing to climb just feels more natural than spinning a low gear, it seems more like running. And charging into climbs to get some momentum going is just fun.

·
Registered
512 Posts
  • you get a full body workout
  • boring trails are a challenge now
  • "stick it to the man" no front shock, no shifters, no $$rr. cassette,
Still using square taper BB on 2 bikes, can't feel the difference with the newer BB. At 160lbs can't feel the difference on a boost bike

Parts that dampen the ride: carbon fork, carbon handlebars, 29x3.0 front tire, titanium seat post.
Still riding with the same pedals purchased in 2008 or so (ATAC clip in pedals) dam things won't stop working.... I put in about 200,000 ft climbing /yrs. on 4 bikes that are all the same gear ratio.

·
Combat Wombat
1,746 Posts
You know, if you would have asked me this question 13 years ago, I would have immediately fired an answer right back at you. Now it is almost like asking me why my favorite color is blue and really have to think about this.

Anyway, I still love the clean lines of a rigid steel bike. Ideally no rack mounts and all the crap to give the option to run gears, but since that is pretty much a custom route these days, I make do.

Enjoy the challenge of a hard climb and cleaning trail features that require serious effort and focus. No downshifting on an off day or 140mm of suspension to cover mistakes. Sometimes doing something harder can be better. A little suffering to clear the mind.

I do ride, and enjoy, bikes with gears and suspension, but a rigid SS is my primary ride and what I love most.

·
Rippin da fAt
9,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Workout makes it a chore as opposed to the awesomeness of riding a bike, so never will I call it that! Trialsin' on the mountain, ascending with counting dabs as a negative is good stuff. Makes for challenge when a lil TGS is necessary to change it up. Pivots through some of the corners in the forested trails to give it pizzaz!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sometimes doing something harder can be better. A little suffering to clear the mind.
This is a really good point. Think about what humans had to endure even 200 years ago... we have it very easy now. Of course a fancy lightweight bicycle is also 'having it easy', but doing away with of all the technology which has been developed to make mountain biking easier sure does make it more rewarding!

·
Registered
218 Posts
All I know is I have more fun riding my SS than riding my squishy geared bike. right now I’m recovering from hernia surgery and I got the ok to ride my bike on the streets, nothing to intense. I take that as riding my full squish of greens and blues carefully. I’ve been going out with my wife and son and cruising around having fun just peddling my bike carefully on easy trails. I’m happy to be back on dirt but it’s not the same and powering around and up everything on my single speed. I look forward to getting back on my SS, it’s such a better workout and just a blast to ride.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
I like that I get out what I put in. No gears or suspension to bail me out. It's a more visceral and direct experience. It's just me and the trail, no worries about "what if I was in this gear instead, do I need to tune my suspension?" Just make do with what you have.

I also have a FS, so I do like tuning suspension, having gears, hammering thru a trail, letting the bike do a lot of the work. It is good to have different riding experiences.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I like that I get out what I put in. No gears or suspension to bail me out. It's a more visceral and direct experience. It's just me and the trail, no worries about "what if I was in this gear instead, do I need to tune my suspension?" Just make do with what you have.
Haha. I often say exactly this. I liken it being a kid again, "Muuuumm, I'm going out on my bike!". No messing, fewer things to consider.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I don’t ride with a rigid fork right now like some of you, but I still like the simplicity of a hardtail SS. I really like it here in DFW, where it helps make these trails more interesting and fun. My SS has been my primary bike here, where in California, it wasnt. I also enjoy the art of reading the trail and trying to keep momentum at key places with the one gear.

·
Rippin da fAt
9,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I don’t ride with a rigid fork right now like some of you, but I still like the simplicity of a hardtail SS. I really like it here in DFW, where it helps make these trails more interesting and fun. My SS has been my primary bike here, where in California, it wasnt. I also enjoy the art of reading the trail and trying to keep momentum at key places with the one gear.
One bike is rigid, the Middlechild is all about rowdy, play and, and Trials, so a Pike is indeed a need.
Heinz used the correct word. Anticipation, is makin' me ride! Looking ahead and knowing that what is coming requires a bit of momentum just lets more endorphins and adrenaline loose for that really awesome buzz that no other drug has ever replicated! Holy s h i t!! Gettin high on riding is soooo awesome!
And to mention the last sentence in your post, let out your inner V8, you got this!

This is a really good point. Think about what humans had to endure even 200 years ago... we have it very easy now. Of course a fancy lightweight bicycle is also 'having it easy', but doing away with of all the technology which has been developed to make mountain biking easier sure does make it more rewarding!
We are coddled, spoiled brats by comparison to 200 years ago. The return to a one speed automatic has been the finest experience in bikes over the last few years.

every ride is a workout.
less parts to break.
and yes, the reactions of the riders that you passed hahaha
Workout, my ass! It happens to be the best of times! Passing a 29'er fully with gears on the ascent has never been so satisfying, evar! Passing em on the descent, key out, engine off is even more satisfying. Leaves em confused and asking, "wut jus happon?". 😁

I also have a FS, so I do like tuning suspension, having gears, hammering thru a trail, letting the bike do a lot of the work. It is good to have different riding experiences.
One word... Participation! Too many want that instant gratification, we would rather do it the old fashioned way, earn it!

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I like how BrianU has likened this question to 'why is (x) your favorite color?' That seems to sum up my feeling towards singlespeeding quite well.

Earlier this summer, I once again put gears back on my bike. And after about a month of that, I once again took them off. I've done this a handful of times and while riding with gears opens up one particular trail for me, there is something about it that I don't like. I think singlespeeding is cool because not many people do it. There is a certain smugness that comes from the way that people think it's really hard when in fact it isn't as difficult as they make it out to be. It's like I've learned a secret.

There's also more nuance to pedalling than most would believe and I like the idea of adjusting your 'gearing' by finding ways to work different muscle groups. It feels more pure.

·
Rippin da fAt
9,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I like how BrianU has likened this question to 'why is (x) your favorite color?' That seems to sum up my feeling towards singlespeeding quite well.

Earlier this summer, I once again put gears back on my bike. And after about a month of that, I once again took them off. I've done this a handful of times and while riding with gears opens up one particular trail for me, there is something about it that I don't like. I think singlespeeding is cool because not many people do it. There is a certain smugness that comes from the way that people think it's really hard when in fact it isn't as difficult as they make it out to be. It's like I've learned a secret.

There's also more nuance to pedalling than most would believe and I like the idea of adjusting your 'gearing' by finding ways to work different muscle groups. It feels more pure.
Looking at it, perhaps it is only as daunting as one considers and makes it to run a one speed automatic on the mountain.
As for favorite color...
This page intentionally left blank.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I like the strategic element it brings to a ride.

Without the option to change gears, the effort on one climb needs to balanced against the rest of a ride. Perhaps a PR on one segment is possible with the right plan, how much power at different points (gradients), when to hold a cadence, when to spin a much higher cadence.

Also the WTF?!? reaction I get as I fly past "enduro types" on climbs as if they are standing still, and then again on the descents!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts