Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a ride today it hit me. Why do we love biking so much. its not just another way to stay in shape or meet new people. I mean those are upsides but they dont satisfy me. is it something we were born to do or what. I really cannot think of anything i would rather do than go ride my bike. just looking for some input on what drives you to live to ride.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
cdub said:
After a ride today it hit me. Why do we love biking so much. its not just another way to stay in shape or meet new people. I mean those are upsides but they dont satisfy me. is it something we were born to do or what. I really cannot think of anything i would rather do than go ride my bike. just looking for some input on what drives you to live to ride.
well actually for me it mainly is just that as what you said. also it is one athletic endeavor for we that are poor at the traditional team sports to have at least a fighting chance at doing ok.

the thrill of it and the pain are all good too.
so is the eating after a long ride.
and the swag.
and the gear.
and the bragging you can do at work.
and the showing of scars.
and looking at biking chicks.
and even evil norba.
and tent camping
and fires
and logs and roots and drops and chutes
and ledges
and the trek there
and giants and specializeds and sevens all
yup all
even baks as big as suitcases on our rear sides
and fat tire ale and red bull and diluted gatorade 2
and rock n roll and even hiphop and rap cr#p 4 those who just gotta
yeah mainly all drives me to dis culture.
It's composition is sublime
and in all time a mo better mix 'll be hard 2 fine.

but not unpacking the car and cleaning everything after. bleh.

biking is king. oh and thats road stuff too.

·
Reviewer/Tester
6,176 Posts
It's.. it's... the feeling I get, when i ride. I really like that feeling of....freedom, I guess. Yep. that feeling that I can go anywhere I want to go. Whenever I want to ...under my own power. :)

R.

·
Glad to Be Alive
43,010 Posts
i would rather surf, then ride. But riding leaves you so energized after you do something you never have done before and the scenery is amazing

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
For me, many things

It's great excercise, and one that's a lot more fun and interactive than running on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike. It also helps to break barriers and build confidence in oneself. Think about the feeling you get when you clear the log you used to walk over, or bomb down a hill faster than the last time. Also, like so many other sports, there is the comradery associated with participating in an event with others, and competing.

Clyde

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
cdub said:
I don't know what drives me to live and ride, but I have some thoughts into why we love biking so much.

To me, no other activity or drug on the planet has its confluence. When you really look at what's going on ... you work up insane amounts of endorphins on the climb, mix into it substantive amounts on adrenaline on the downhill, all the while looking, feeling, smelling, and truly and intimately experiencing some of the most beautiful land on the planet -- it's amazing. Furthermore and to Fuelish's point, I believe the meld between man and machine, on the trail in the wilderness, allows us to tap into an animal-like experience (I can't be the only one who feels a bizarre sense of flight on a good ride) and I think it's because an intense Triune Brain effect is in play, tapping into the reptilian, limbic, and neocortex layers of our brains to a degree and balance offered by few (if any) other activities. Yeah, I know, I think too much on a ride, but this is my theory nonetheless.

·
Motion activated
3,257 Posts
Basically I think it's an adrenaline and endorphin addiction.

I've heard it said that driving a car is like riding in the cart (in a horse and cart), but riding a motorbike is like riding the horse. Well I say that riding an MTB is a step further. You become the horse.

So, yeah, drugs and being a horse.

·
Log off and go ride!
1,874 Posts
My legs are not what they used to be. I used to hike and backpack for miles, wandering aimlessly through the mountains and forest with no real itinerary; but that is no longer possible. A mountain bike gives me the opportunity to do this again.

I long ago passed where I needed to prove anything to others or myself so I don't need the 'challenge', and I am no longer an adrenaline junkie that lives for thrills. I just enjoy being outdoors pedaling along some long unused back road or trail, enjoying the wildlife and scenery and solitude. And oddly enough, I see more wildlife on my bike than I ever saw while hiking and I enjoy more great views. michael vandeman was wrong when he claimed mtn bikers do not enjoy nature.

Biking has replaced hiking and bikepacking has replaced backpacking.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
The thing that hooks me on mountain biking is the level of clarity I get while i ride. No matter how crappy your day or your life is, when you are on that trail your entire world shrinks to the line of site in front of you. The shorter that distance gets and the sharper you have to be. The memory of a long, boring commute to work is erased by one good piece of singletrack. A rocky, rooted descent will negate the effects of a 2-hour staff meeting. But let even a little bit of your off-the-bike problems enter your mind while trying that technical climb and you will find yourself walking up the hill - head hung in shame because you know you could have made it if you had focused.

The bike represents freedom, individuality, independance. The bike never fails...the rider does. If the bike does not work properly, its the riders fault. The bike is a representation of the rider.

Gotta go hug my bike now.

·
my girl rides also
650 Posts
...neuroscience at work.....god I'm a nerd.....

Hello Kitty said:
I don't know what drives me to live and ride, but I have some thoughts into why we love biking so much.

....I believe the meld between man and machine, on the trail in the wilderness, allows us to tap into an animal-like experience (I can't be the only one who feels a bizarre sense of flight on a good ride) and I think it's because an intense Triune Brain effect is in play, tapping into the reptilian, limbic, and neocortex layers of our brains to a degree and balance offered by few (if any) other activities....

I like your take on this, and I've always been under the impression that our brain is doing a hell of a lot of work, and I think it's on a level that we typically don't associate with our usual thought process. This is where our little "Truine Brain Effect" comes into play....according to that school of thought, we have the same brain makeup as any other animal, but we have the frontal lobe size advantage which makes us think logically. Screaming down singletrack not knowing what is around the next corner is when this is turned off, and we are in that primal, reactionary, state of mind that is used by the rest of the animal kingdom on a daily basis just for survival. Personally, I like it when I get to the end of a fast-as-all-hell section of singletrack, I stop, and I can feel my frontal lobe get "switched back on" and I beging to start to think like a human again.

If I were to think like a human on the trail, I've found that through my own experience, that I only get myself into trouble, and that is from OVERthinking everything. Being a pretty analytical guy to beging with, this doesn't help, and if I think something out too much, I find myself wiping off dirt, stitching up wounds, and massaging brusies.

All in all, however, I just get out there and do what feels good. If I wreck, eh....it's part of the job description.

scott

·
Sharp rocks hurt...
276 Posts
I love everything about mountain biking and that’s what makes me do it.

The thrill (Zooming down the hills)

The challenge (Climbing back up the hills)

The friends (People I meat at races, People I ride with, People on my team)

The Fear (going over big drops for first time on a lightweight XC hardtail)

The Freedom (Being able to go anywhere, without relying on my parents or other ppl)

The focus (Picking lines, making turns, split second decisions and nothing else)

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
plain and simple

Total focus. It is the only place/activity I can engauge in where I have 100% focus on the task at hand. Not thinking about work, home, family, politics. Not thinking about what I did last year, week, hour, minute, or what I'll do later today, this week, this month or when I retire.

I'm living for the moment, with 100% focus on what I'm doing. It devoids my mind of all the complicities associated with being a human, at least for a few cherished moments, on a couple days a week.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think for me it all started...

when I was four years old and I learned to ride a two wheeler. I'm forty now, and still love biking, and bikes. As a kid, the speed was awesome and unobtainable in any other way. It also allowed an expansion of my "immediate neighborhood" to a wider range of area.

·
Metalheadbikerider
2,904 Posts
For me it is 2 things:

cdub said:
1. Structure/focus-before I got back into mtb'ing after a hiatus. I realized that I really needed something to focus on, and that became training/riding for racing. I feel like I need structure (go figure as I'm almost 100% German) to be satisifed and happy in life.

2. Feeling like a kid! I always find myself hooting and hollering, or making Star Wars like sounds, once I hit that "flow" on the trails. That feeling takes me back to childhood when I leaned a piece of wood against the wagon to jump it, or spent countless hours at the local BMX dirt jumping place. It's a feeling I only seem to get when I am on the bike!

·
Registered
221 Posts
Get off from work . Go back to house in the city its a nice summers evening get on the bike in my garden within an hour im cycling in complete peace with dears as my only company what better way is there to rewind :) and the feeling you get after you collapse on the sofa after the shower after a LONG cycle is unbeatable :D

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
VA2SLOride said:
This is where our little "Truine Brain Effect" comes into play....according to that school of thought, we have the same brain makeup as any other animal, but we have the frontal lobe size advantage which makes us think logically. Screaming down singletrack not knowing what is around the next corner is when this is turned off, and we are in that primal, reactionary, state of mind that is used by the rest of the animal kingdom on a daily basis just for survival. Personally, I like it when I get to the end of a fast-as-all-hell section of singletrack, I stop, and I can feel my frontal lobe get "switched back on" and I beging to start to think like a human again.
Glad you understood. I thought I was the only one. Man oh man, does this effect ever kick in when I see somebody up ahead that I'm aiming to pass. My eyes get all lit up like a kitten playing with a string. Shoooowee that's fun. Triune effect fully engaged. :)
va2whateverthehell said:
If I were to think like a human on the trail, I've found that through my own experience, that I only get myself into trouble, and that is from OVERthinking everything. Being a pretty analytical guy to beging with, this doesn't help, and if I think something out too much, I find myself wiping off dirt, stitching up wounds, and massaging brusies.

All in all, however, I just get out there and do what feels good. If I wreck, eh....it's part of the job description.
Hell I'll do you one better -- if you're not wrecking, your ass ought to be fired. This ain't no Union gig.

·
MTBR Mafia
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hey guys,
thanks for the replies i am now beggining to see the big picture. its really inspiring to hear that you 40 year old still love riding, not to bash on you guys, because i just turned 16 and have been riding every style in my 4 memorable years on my assortment of bikes. I think riding will progress for me past this freeride- downhill fetish into enjoying the lack of stress and just riding ( this will not happen soon i hope).

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.