Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is just to see what others think.

what is important in a XC race bike in your opinion?
example saddle, top of line parts, lastest parts, geometry, tires and more. anything.

i think stiffness, tires, drivetrain and frame design/geometry will be the most important.

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
the right fit/geometry and a bike that suits your riding style.

light weight in the right places - light and fast wheels and tires.

saddles, bars and other "fit" parts are by far less important.

·
LA CHÈVRE
9,429 Posts
The most important thing is to be fit and physically up to it. Then, having your bike, however good or bad for XC, in good shape. But for the bike itself, the most important to me is the geometry and fit of the bike. After that, I'd say having good tires for the situation and the suspension tuned right, lightweight wheels help too and stiffness at the right places. I don't like noodly forks.

·
Lusus Naturae
2,874 Posts
If by "Stiffness" you mean "no fricken pedal bob", then I agree completely. I expect and get that from my Epic with Crossmax SL wheelset. XC bikes need to be extremely responsive. Accurate and quick shifting is also important.

Being fit and having the bike fit is important, but for more than just XC racing.

·
Registered
378 Posts
A kick ass custom paint job.
Matching color components!! I like red hubs, spokes, brake levers, and saddle.

·
New MTB XC Racer
253 Posts
Newbie Opinion

As a newbie racer I would have to say the most important thing is fit and reliability.

I have a GT FS and I love it compared to my other bikes. I just FEEL better on it.

I have been having drive train issues. Had poor shifting and replaced derailleur X-5 for X-9 but still suffered lousy shifting.
Broke the chain 3 times at 24hr SS last weekend and last break must of wrapped the derailleur and ripped it of the hanger. Possibly to some problem with shifting. Maybe it was the chain in the first place:madmax:

My first XC race a month ago I flatted twice and DNF'd.

These problems could be due to lack of experience on bike setup on my part but the point is you need a bike that will stay together for the race. Something as simple as tire/pressure choice for the course could make or break your race:madman:

Single Speed is starting to look attractive :D

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
61 Posts
I cover my second season racing XC on my blog at www.myspace.com/bravoshot. the main things i want out of an XC racer are:

1. good shifting (i usually race in areas i am unfamiliar with, so quick and accurate shifting keeps me on my bike. you get off, and you loose at least 30 second to the lead.

2. Pedaling efficiency. no bob, even out of the saddle

3. weight. bike should be 26lbs or less.

4. good brakes (avid juicy 5's have been quite serviceable)

5. carbon fiber seat post and handlebars. believe it or not, the tension and abuse your body experiences impacts your performance. Carbon at these parts makes a big difference.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.